Jump to content

What do you guys use for hand trucks?


Gamvend

Recommended Posts

First I apologize because I'm sure this topic has been covered but I could not find any threads on the search feature.

 

So for years I used a hand truck that I got from harbor freight it was a 1 position upright had truck. It worked ok but, I also didn't have that many accounts. As my business grew I realized that it was heavy and that a 2 position dolly was much better. No matter what dolly I have bought I have found them to be poor quality in that they come apart at the welds even with much less weight then they say they can handle.

 

I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I am actually going to have to spend some $$ and get a good hand truck.

 

So magliner is the first one that comes to mind. My question is what kind of hand truck do you guys use? What ones would you suggest? What should I stay away from?

 

Thanks,

 

Justin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just brought another hand truck from Costco wholesale made by Cosco. It's a convertible like the mag but I only paid 79.99 its on sale I figured I'll give it a try if not Costco return policy is great.

1000 lb capacity

f1aea8e7a59981d0ea8634344a43083c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Use the Magliner Gemini Jr.  The Gemini Sr. is really too big for vending though maybe not if you do heavy bottle accounts.  They are aluminum dollies and the only real weakness is that the loading plate (upright use) gets bent if you drop the dolly from your truck on the plate.  We used them exclusively and they do eventually wear out to the point that the frame doesn't easily slide to platform use.  It's a minor issue and replacement parts are readily available when needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses.I was leaning towards the Gemini wasn't sure which one. I don't have to many bottle accounts so I'll go with the jr. that's the one I'll go with.

Keep up posted on how that Cosco one works out for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, DJVending said:

I just brought another hand truck from Costco wholesale made by Cosco. It's a convertible like the mag but I only paid 79.99 its on sale I figured I'll give it a try if not Costco return policy is great.

1000 lb capacity

f1aea8e7a59981d0ea8634344a43083c.jpg

 

50 minutes ago, DJVending said:

I just brought another hand truck from Costco wholesale made by Cosco. It's a convertible like the mag but I only paid 79.99 its on sale I figured I'll give it a try if not Costco return policy is great.

1000 lb capacity

f1aea8e7a59981d0ea8634344a43083c.jpg

What's the item number I was looking at that one but now I can't find it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Related question, has anyone used those two piece dollies to move machines. You basically put one half on each side and ratchet strap them tight. This leverages the machine up about an inch off the floor. I have had to move machines by myself before and I don't seem to have enough golpher to lean my appliance dolly on to the kickout wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, and on the Cosco dolly, read the ratings carefully. The 1000lb rating is for the cart configuration. If you try to put even 300 lbs on the dolly and lean it back on the kickouts it will fold up like a lawn chair. Be warned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The magliners are great for daily vending activities but I would not move machines with it. Save up and grab a Dutro hand truck for machine moves. Also in the meantime you can move machines with a pallet jack in a lot of situations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magliner is a great brand, and the Jr is sufficient unless you have monster accounts.  They are heavy too, but last years and years and years.

I bought mine from Sam's Club.. or should I say.. it was a gift when I first started out.  I didn't use it for probably 6 months because I was working out of my car at the time and I couldn't fit anything other than the $20 dolly I still have back there that's only maybe 3' long and can't carry more than about 3 cases of bottles without the wheels falling off lol.  It's $80 or so and it's pretty good.  If I was still new, I would rather spend $80 on the Sam's Club convertible dolly than dish out hundreds for a magliner.  I will probably get another one from sam's too.  They have been good to me for well over 5 years, but they DO rust out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We bought ours from Grainger a decade or so ago. Heavy duty "appliance " dolly.  Still works great. Great for heavy machines. We also use a pallet jack that works great as long as there are no steps.  I found the pallet jack by accident and only paid $45.00 for it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Corvus Corax said:

Related question, has anyone used those two piece dollies to move machines. You basically put one half on each side and ratchet strap them tight. This leverages the machine up about an inch off the floor. I have had to move machines by myself before and I don't seem to have enough golpher to lean my appliance dolly on to the kickout wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 

The Two-Piece equipment dolly you are referring to is a Piano Mover.  We have used them for all of our equipment moves for the last 5-6 years.  Before that, we used an appliance dolly.  The Piano Movers are EXCELLENT for the huge bottle machines and make equipment moves simple for my service team.  They can maneuver thru doorways and around corners easily.  HIGHLY recommend them if you move a bit of equipment. 

As for GAMVEND's question, we have used a variety of dollies but end up coming back to the Magliners.  They may be a tad pricey, but they last FOREVER.  All I've ever had to do is replace a wheel now and then, which is simple to repair.  We've tried some of the inexpensive ones from different discount club stores, but my drivers end up beating the hell out of them.  And you can't find replacement parts for them very easily either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, I have two magliners, the first one is a plain vanilla hand truck that was a hand me down, it was rescued from a dumpster and put back in use about 2 owners before me and still going strong.  When I needed a convertible for larger accounts I dug deep and got another magliner with ALL the extras, 3 position, folding nose and no flat tires.  It's more than I need, but I expect it to outlive me by 50 or 60 years.... If I ever buy another it will probably be the Jr. 

As to the piano dollies, I have a used set.  They are great for certain jobs but mine don't have attached straps, so they take a little time to put on and off.  We use them mostly when we have to scissor a machine thru a doorway.  We are getting to the point of using the "small and narrow" pallet jack for most of our moves.  I have 4X4's cut to about 36 inches to go under machines with no legs both for storage and moving.   Am also putting the large plastic furniture sliders under almost all machines I install now.   It not only protects the client's floor but makes positioning the machine easier.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Southeast Treats said:

Yea, I have two magliners, the first one is a plain vanilla hand truck that was a hand me down, it was rescued from a dumpster and put back in use about 2 owners before me and still going strong.  When I needed a convertible for larger accounts I dug deep and got another magliner with ALL the extras, 3 position, folding nose and no flat tires.  It's more than I need, but I expect it to outlive me by 50 or 60 years.... If I ever buy another it will probably be the Jr. 

As to the piano dollies, I have a used set.  They are great for certain jobs but mine don't have attached straps, so they take a little time to put on and off.  We use them mostly when we have to scissor a machine thru a doorway.  We are getting to the point of using the "small and narrow" pallet jack for most of our moves.  I have 4X4's cut to about 36 inches to go under machines with no legs both for storage and moving.   Am also putting the large plastic furniture sliders under almost all machines I install now.   It not only protects the client's floor but makes positioning the machine easier.  

I agree with using the furniture sliders.  It does make them all easier to move and protects floors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just bought these. Hydraulic with built in ratchet straps. An upgrade from our old wooden ones. Makes moving drink machines an ease. Also have a dutro. Pallet jack for snack machines. You can use these for snack machines too, just haven't tried it yetfa1e9dd5f111e615a949abe3ce7f2948.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just bought these. Hydraulic with built in ratchet straps. An upgrade from our old wooden ones. Makes moving drink machines an ease. Also have a dutro. Pallet jack for snack machines. You can use these for snack machines too, just haven't tried it yetfa1e9dd5f111e615a949abe3ce7f2948.jpg


Bvending, where did you get those from? I have also seen some called an Anderson dolly, similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corvus Corax said:


Bvending, where did you get those from? I have also seen some called an Anderson dolly, similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 

We have similar "Piano Dollies" as those.  We got them from Step Rider.  You can order them online.  Shipped fast and the dollies work GREAT!  :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bvending said:

We just bought these. Hydraulic with built in ratchet straps. An upgrade from our old wooden ones. Makes moving drink machines an ease. Also have a dutro. Pallet jack for snack machines. You can use these for snack machines too, just haven't tried it yetfa1e9dd5f111e615a949abe3ce7f2948.jpg

Hey BVENDING!  We use ours to move our vending machines as well as pop machines.  Ours have attachments that fold out to lift up the vend machine under the feet.  Makes moving equipment a breeze, especially negotiating doorways or corners in hallways.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...