Help with MEI series 4000 coin changer, No red LED

Brilo

Hi all, I am as new as you can get to the vending world, fist post, but I have already learned much from the posted info on this forum.

I have a problem and am looking for help.  I just purchased my first two used machines, have a location, but now having issues with my MEI series 4000 coin changer. I'm pretty sure I have an Dixie Narco 600e or 501e machine with the 4000 series coin changer that was working fine until it's main relay came unclipped while the machine was plugged into the wall.  Small spark flashed in the plastic relay, but nothing burnt or melted.  The red LED on the coin changer that has always stayed on during operation, now just briefly turns on when I initially plug in the machine and then will not come on again.  The yellow coin arm reset button still works so I know the unit has power, but the coins will not credit or sort into the cylinders.  They just drop and stack vertically outside the far left inner tube.  I don't know if I have blown a fuse or if there is a quick system reset or ...I fried it :(.

I tried calling the tech support number in the manual and got the complete run around.  I figured some of you experts here will likely have a better answer anyways.  Any advise from you veterans that have maybe experienced this would be most appreciated.  I was supposed to place the machine on location in 2 days.

Thank you in advance!!

Brilo 

The short answer is that you probably fried it. However, some of your info isn't adding up. You mention a main relay, but the only version machine with a removable relay is a single price machine, and there were no series 4000 mechs made for this configuration. 

In order to help you, we'll need the complete model number and serial number off of the plate that should be on the left outer door edge of the machine. The exact model of this changer and/or a picture of the harness will help.

If you are referring to the 6 pin connector that goes to the validator and then to the board, that is the MDB connector, and yes, hot plugging or unplugging can short the mechanism.  Best bet may be to look around for a quick replacement on EBay or craigslist.  I will probably get roasted for saying that, but it's the weekend and a quick local deal may be the only way to get the machine on location on time.  If it is an MDB (6 pin connector) then any MDB changer will work as a replacement, and you may be better off with a newer MEI anyway; the 4000 is older but still can be repaired.   You are going to need to find a reputable service shop for changers and validators, there are several on here who do that if you can't locate anyone in your local area. 

Thanks for you quick responses. I'm thinking you may be right on the fried it part. Just tried the bill collector and it will move and adjust when first plugged in, but won't accept bills. It won't even engage the motor to pull them in the unit. I'm still hoping I can come up with a fix.

The machine has been refurbished I believe and has no identifying plate anywhere (except photo 4). I've looked everywhere. It is 72" h 37"w 30-34" deep depending on the curved front. Holds three deep cans 8 selections 3 double and 5 single. (Photo 3)

Maybe relay was not the correct term for what came apart. It was the 6 prong plastic wire connector to the main wire that joins with the bill collector wires that go to the control panel that came apart and sparked. (On the left side in photo 2

last photo shows LED on for a second as I first plug the machine into the wall.

Does any of that info help?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The six pin connector you are referring to is the MDB plug. You probably burnt up the coin mech. Your best bet is to find a refurbished 9302-gx if you don't take many 5's or an mei cf 7512 if you take a lot of 5's.

The machine looks clearly like a 501T based off of pictures and your input. The manual won't help much on this though. Simply get another good MDB mech and you'll hopefully be back in business. 

On this machine,  there should be what is known as a "barrel plug" at the bottom of the cabinet near where the motor harness runs from the cabinet to the door.  You can pull this apart to kill the power to the electronics so that you can safely disconnect devices without potentially burning things up.

Those mechs have problems as it is. You may be best to junk the mech and replace it rather than repair it. 

Thanks for all the info.  AZVendor I will send you an email about a replacement.

Do you think the bill validator is toast also because they are linked by the MDB and it is not grabbing bils nowl even though it resets and adjusts (moves) when plugged in?

Why is that? Are you going with strictly credit card? Maybe that is what I should be looking into?

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

It's possible but if it worked before,  try to get it repaired.  I'm getting rid of my bill pros though.

I know nothing about validators and coin changers. Is one brand/type recommended over another?

Sounds like bill pros are not too high on the list.

They are good when they work properly, but they become problematic when the chassis is damaged and I don't feel it's worth the repair.  There's nothing wrong with having them if they work and nothing wrong with repairing them if they are repairable.  However, I personally favor mars/mei (same company) for their 2000 series validators.  For that machine, you would need a mars validator that ends in the number 2 (ie. 2502, 2512, 2702, 2712, etc..)  You could also get a newer style coinco.  There are other out there but I like to stick with mars because that's what I have in probably 80% of my machines.  I have some old coinco BA's that have lasted for over 5 years without needing repair but it's hit or miss.

• 2 months later...

Update: I finally figured out the problem. When I unplugged the 6 pin MDB from the coin changer and it sparked, turns out that the board reset to free vend somehow.  That is why it would not accept bills or coins. I'm not sure why the coins were getting stuck in the changer instead or flowing out the coin return, but setting the price back to $.50 started everything working again. 

Lesson learned: after power shortage check vending price. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 7:49 PM, AZVendor said:

Your real lesson to learn is to turn the power off before unplugging the coin mech or bill acceptor or you can blow up the device or the logic board.

yeah....that too.

Archived