Snackshop 500 Coin Jam

Lex

I am a first time owner of a vending machine and could really use some help with my SnackShop 500. 

I know it's old and I tested it before I bought it and everything worked perfectly. About two weeks into daily use it started jamming up the coins in the coin slot. When I opened the door it looked like a quarter and dime got sandwiched together and wouldn't sort through the sorter mechanism. 

Is there a simple fix or do in need to replace the whole coin accepter? Sometimes it works flawlessly and then all of a sudden a  jam occurs and every customer after that loses money. I'm afraid of losing all my regular customers. 

Thank you.

That kind of jam can occur with any changer, but if it's frequent, I would check the following:

First, before disconnecting or connecting any circuit be sure the power is off to prevent damage from arcing.

Clean the coin ramps and slides with a damp cloth and compressed air.  Check for obstructions or damage.  Check to see if there are coins stuck in the accept gates (lower down the changer in the coin path).   Make sure the changer is properly mounted on the 3 mounting screws and is level.  Check the coin return function to be sure it opens and closes properly. 

Test the entire coin path with multiple coins, look for anything that slows down or hangs up a coin.

If you find a problem you can't fix then get a replacement changer to swap in to the machine.  Never hurts to have a spare on hand anyway, and the sick unit can be sent off for repair.

Consider adding a sign to the machine "insert coins slowly".  Sometimes people just dump coins in together or too fast.

The first thing you need to do is tell us what kind of coin mech is in there.  Either read the model number or take a picture.  If the coin mech is too old, then it may be cheaper and better to replace the machine.  I know it's not what you want to hear, but you're dealing with very very old technology.. too old to repair.  If the mech is modern, then we can go from there.

You may have an old mechanical acceptor on a Coinco yellow coin mech.  Those are no longer repairable so if you get consistent coin jams it's time to replace it.  Depending on the model of your pricing board I can send you an electronic replacement but you will be throwing good money after bad on this model of machine.  You haven't yet had the most common of problems with it apparently so those are still ahead of you and they are worse issues to fix.  Dump this dinosaur and at least move from the Stone Age into the Iron Age.

Archived