Jump to content

I'm here to SUCCEED! (With questions!)


vendingchino
 Share

Recommended Posts

Greetings all! New here and very eager to succeed. 

 

Not sure where to ask all my questions but I suppose I can start here first.

 

So I've only started thinking about the vending business for about 2-3 days so far. I came across the idea of vending as a way to generate passive cashflow which I'm sure why many of you are in the vending business. I also came across this forum just now so I figure I'll utilize the wealth of knowledge here if anyone would be so kind to share.

 

I'm from the NY area and would like to get into vending; ATMs, soda machines, snacks, stickers, games etc.

 

Not sure exactly what to get into to be honest. Though I do have a couple of concerns.

 

Firstly, I don't have great capital to start with so I was thinking of starting with a very small like amount of machines (regardless of whatever they are); about one or two machines to start.

 

I'm thinking about soda or drink machines but realized pretty quickly that even if I purchased for cheap off of eBay, I'm not sure whether my mini van (Toyota SIENNA) would be able to transport it properly and I would have to drop an extra $600-800 for a Dutro handtruck or something.

 

My main thought is that I should probably first canvas the area I live in first within a couple mile radius and see maybe what would do most well. Does it look like my area could use ATM's? Soda machines? Healthy Snack machines? Capsules machines by children populated areas? 

 

Wondering what everyone's 2 cents is based on where I am. Some help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!  Well, you have covered the waterfront as far as vending; most operators focus on one or two areas.  Some thoughts on your comments

Drink only vending is a good way to start in full line, but don't invest in moving equipment right away.  Find a good local mover to do moves for you, it's not that expensive and lets you focus your money where it does the most good.  Get good used Dixie-Narco or Royal machines that have MDB changers and validators. 

"Healthy" vending is difficult and snack vending is hard enough as it is.  Start elsewhere and work it into your inventory gradually.

Stay away from "combo" machines (drink and snack in one unit).  Too expensive to service (half the capacity = twice the service visits) and usually poorly made.

I don't do ATM's, but that market seems pretty saturated to me.  There is a forum here for that to check out.

I don't do bulk vending (capsule toys, stickers, tattoos, etc) but some people seem to do very well with it.  Again, check out the bulk forum.

Coin Op games are dying - ever hear of smartphones and tablets?  The games that do get play these days are EXPENSIVE (12 to 20 K each).  Unless you get into gambling machines; then you better have a good lawyer handy as well.  Jail is not part of my business plan.

Good luck!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just reading this post, I'd recommend starting in bulk vending. It has a low initial cost and the machines can easily be moved in a van(I'm using a Sienna myself, but am long-overdue for an upgrade). You'll see a decent return as long as you find some good locations. You can expand into other areas of vending once you see that it's something you really want to do. You can also save all of your profits so when that day comes when you're ready to venture into a different area of vending, you'll have some cash to make it happen. 

I started in bulk candy myself almost 2 years ago and have expanded into soda and snack machines as well as toys. I'm well on my way to making vending my full-time gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bulk vending my man! That's where I started! Maybe my YouTube videos can help you! Leave a comment, email me, Snapchat me. Do whatever you have to do to contact me and I will definitely be there to help you!


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNP-f-Phatg8kroxUzPzRA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm digging your channel!

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm digging your channel!

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk


I appreciate the love man!

I upload constantly so please look out for new content!

Also, we have a pretty dope Facebook group that I would love for you to join!

You can check it out here: https://facebook.com/groups/1878998209022914?tsid=0.4091679979273972&source=result


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can buy Bulk machines whether toy or candy very cheap on either 5 miles or Craigslist. Cheaper than Amazon and Ebay, also avoids shipping costs. I got my first 8 machines with a 230 dollar investment. Doing 5 miles and craigslist. Just go to a public place like a parking lot 

Edited by BryanH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2017 at 1:29 AM, Bryan La Rue said:

Bulk vending my man! That's where I started! Maybe my YouTube videos can help you! Leave a comment, email me, Snapchat me. Do whatever you have to do to contact me and I will definitely be there to help you!


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNP-f-Phatg8kroxUzPzRA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bryan La Rue Hey bro! Thanks for reply man! Dude I actually have seen your videos ha! Awesome to have your reply. I'm honored lol. I think you're one of the main reasons I started thinking more about bulk vending and probably the main reason I'm even on this forum inquiring about the bulk vending business. I do have more questions and will maybe hit you up on your channel or Facebook group page.

 

I too would like to start with the bulk vending business as the machines are lighter, no electricity and easier to move compared to other machines. 

That being said, the toughest obstacle to overcome at this point would be to figure out placement. I will be canvasing my neighborhood tomorrow within a mile or two radius. Not approaching anyone but will be taking a look at what the neighborhood has to offer; stores, schools, bars, offices, markets, etc etc and see what would most need demand. 

Any tips on placement? Obviously I'm looking for good traffic which is kind of a given but what "not so obvious" things should we look out for?

 

Thanks again.

23 hours ago, BryanH said:

You can buy Bulk machines whether toy or candy very cheap on either 5 miles or Craigslist. Cheaper than Amazon and Ebay, also avoids shipping costs. I got my first 8 machines with a 230 dollar investment. Doing 5 miles and craigslist. Just go to a public place like a parking lot 

Thanks for the reply @BryanH

 

"5 miles?" Is that a similar website to Craigslist? 

 

Yea if I go eBay, I'm doing local and will be shooting to pick up to save on shipping costs.

 

$230 investment for 8 machines is awesome man.

 

On 6/21/2017 at 9:54 PM, QuikVend said:

Just reading this post, I'd recommend starting in bulk vending. It has a low initial cost and the machines can easily be moved in a van(I'm using a Sienna myself, but am long-overdue for an upgrade). You'll see a decent return as long as you find some good locations. You can expand into other areas of vending once you see that it's something you really want to do. You can also save all of your profits so when that day comes when you're ready to venture into a different area of vending, you'll have some cash to make it happen. 

I started in bulk candy myself almost 2 years ago and have expanded into soda and snack machines as well as toys. I'm well on my way to making vending my full-time gig.

Thanks for the welcome @QuikVend

 

Wow that's awesome you're about to make it a full time gig. 

2 years huh? That's either a really long time or not long at all lol. What was it like starting out initially and what would you say was the most difficult experience for you in the beginning? 

 

When would you say did it become "easier" for you?

On 6/21/2017 at 9:23 PM, Southeast Treats said:

Welcome to the forum!  Well, you have covered the waterfront as far as vending; most operators focus on one or two areas.  Some thoughts on your comments

Drink only vending is a good way to start in full line, but don't invest in moving equipment right away.  Find a good local mover to do moves for you, it's not that expensive and lets you focus your money where it does the most good.  Get good used Dixie-Narco or Royal machines that have MDB changers and validators. 

"Healthy" vending is difficult and snack vending is hard enough as it is.  Start elsewhere and work it into your inventory gradually.

Stay away from "combo" machines (drink and snack in one unit).  Too expensive to service (half the capacity = twice the service visits) and usually poorly made.

I don't do ATM's, but that market seems pretty saturated to me.  There is a forum here for that to check out.

I don't do bulk vending (capsule toys, stickers, tattoos, etc) but some people seem to do very well with it.  Again, check out the bulk forum.

Coin Op games are dying - ever hear of smartphones and tablets?  The games that do get play these days are EXPENSIVE (12 to 20 K each).  Unless you get into gambling machines; then you better have a good lawyer handy as well.  Jail is not part of my business plan.

Good luck!

 

Thanks for the reply @Southeast Treats!

Good point on the movers. Probably best I hold off on spending money on moving equipment when I haven't really got that much equipment to move anyhow. It's just the thought of having to pay someone to move something when I am trying to minimize the initial capital investment in this new business kills me. 

Dixie-Narco and Royal Machines. Got it. What are MDB changers and validators?

Thx for the tip on the combo. I'll steer clear of that. I agree snacks are hard too. Easier to manage and sell sodas then the garden varieties of snacks. 

ATM's I have also noticed seems to be saturated everywhere. Especially in NYC. I'll hold off on that for now. 

And very valid points on the arcade machines. With portable gaming on tablets and smart phones these days, who needs arcades. Shame really. I grew up with them and loved them as a kid.

 

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vendingchino said:

 

Wow that's awesome you're about to make it a full time gig. 

2 years huh? That's either a really long time or not long at all lol. What was it like starting out initially and what would you say was the most difficult experience for you in the beginning? 

When would you say did it become "easier" for you?

I started out by buying a small route of 15 machines. Worked it for about 4 months and learned quite a bit, then purchased another small route of 12 machines. Then I broke into full-line vending a month later. I've grown quite a bit since then, but it's mostly because I made a concerted effort to make vending my main source of income. The hardest thing for me was to be patient. I was seeing what was possible with vending and I wanted to get as big as possible as fast as possible. I'm glad I grew at the pace I did, I would have burned myself out or not been able to keep up otherwise. 

Nothing was really too difficult, between my ability to pick things up fairly quickly, being handy and this forum, I was able to grow without too many obstacles. The biggest thing right now for me is organizing my time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply @Southeast Treats!

Good point on the movers. Probably best I hold off on spending money on moving equipment when I haven't really got that much equipment to move anyhow. It's just the thought of having to pay someone to move something when I am trying to minimize the initial capital investment in this new business kills me. 

Dixie-Narco and Royal Machines. Got it. What are MDB changers and validators?

Thx for the tip on the combo. I'll steer clear of that. I agree snacks are hard too. Easier to manage and sell sodas then the garden varieties of snacks. 

ATM's I have also noticed seems to be saturated everywhere. Especially in NYC. I'll hold off on that for now. 

And very valid points on the arcade machines. With portable gaming on tablets and smart phones these days, who needs arcades. Shame really. I grew up with them and loved them as a kid.

 

Thanks for the replies everyone!!


Dude, head over to the Facebook group. Type in "VendingNation" into the search, shoot me a message and we can chitchat bro!

I extremely appreciate the love! Whatever you need help with when it comes to Vending , I will promise to give it my best to help man ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

I started out by buying a small route of 15 machines. Worked it for about 4 months and learned quite a bit, then purchased another small route of 12 machines. Then I broke into full-line vending a month later. I've grown quite a bit since then, but it's mostly because I made a concerted effort to make vending my main source of income. The hardest thing for me was to be patient. I was seeing what was possible with vending and I wanted to get as big as possible as fast as possible. I'm glad I grew at the pace I did, I would have burned myself out or not been able to keep up otherwise. 

Nothing was really too difficult, between my ability to pick things up fairly quickly, being handy and this forum, I was able to grow without too many obstacles. The biggest thing right now for me is organizing my time. 

Hmm very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

 

Now when you say you bought a small route, I'm assuming you either found someone locally or through an online website and bought their route correct? I saw a couple websites about selling routes and thought it was a great idea but the cheapest one for sale was like 64k. Might still be available but I have no where near that kind of money at this moment. Nor would I want to spend so much right out the gate on vending.

 

And what exactly does "full-line vending" mean? I hear that term often.

Any tips on placement for machines? My partner and I will be canvasing the neighborhood tomorrow for ideas and research. I think once we start picking up machines, the biggest foreseeable obstacle is placement. Great foot traffic is key but are there any less obvious things we should be looking out for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bryan La Rue said:


Dude, head over to the Facebook group. Type in "VendingNation" into the search, shoot me a message and we can chitchat bro!

I extremely appreciate the love! Whatever you need help with when it comes to Vending , I will promise to give it my best to help man ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea bro. You've definitely been an inspiration. 

 

Actually sent a request to join the page so whenever you get the chance to approve, I'd appreciate it. Thanks bud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking on Craigslist I found a guy selling 15 machines on location. I paid $1200 at the time. Be careful looking online, there are quite a few biz-op scams and people that will take advantage of people who are new to the vending world. 

Full-line vending refers to snack and soda machines. 

As far as placement, start locally and find small businesses. You'll be wasting your time with almost all the big chains, they're either under a contract or corporate policy won't allow them. If you're using a charity, you have a selling point already, otherwise you'll need to sell the location owner/manager on why your machine needs to be there. There is a while section just for locating that would be very useful for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, vendingchino said:

Dixie-Narco and Royal Machines. Got it. What are MDB changers and validators?

MDB means multi-drop bus.  It's the connection for changers and validators that is now the standard for US vending machines.  Both units connect to the same line in series using 6 pin plastic plugs.  Cashless devices also connect to the MDB circuit when they are installed.  Older machines have a variety of connectors and voltages for changers and validators.  They still work, but having those means you need to have a larger variety of spare parts for different machines.  MDB devices are pretty much interchangeable into any MDB machine.  Some older machines can be upgraded to MDB with adaptor harnesses or new control boards, but if you stick with buying MDB machines right from the start you avoid all those headaches...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/06/2017 at 6:54 AM, QuikVend said:

Just reading this post, I'd recommend starting in bulk vending. It has a low initial cost and the machines can easily be moved in a van(I'm using a Sienna myself, but am long-overdue for an upgrade). You'll see a decent return as long as you find some good locations. You can expand into other areas of vending once you see that it's something you really want to do. You can also save all of your profits so when that day comes when you're ready to venture into a different area of vending, you'll have some cash to make it happen. 

I started in bulk candy myself almost 2 years ago and have expanded into soda and snack machines as well as toys. I'm well on my way to making vending my full-time gig.

I'm new to the forum myself. I have been listening to QuikVend recommendation and as per my starters knowledge I would say if you are looking to experience 1st and make it big. Go for Bulk Vending as its non electrically operated and easy to start.

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm new to the vending business and I have plenty of questions myself and I have thought to start my business with bulk vending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...