New to the vending industry guide from newbie, advice for newbs, from a newb, but better than nothing

****At the end of the day I am still having some fun and look forward to the future... However... I hope this post helps the ultra-newbie like I was once. I now view myself as just a rookie, and not an ultra-newbie.....*****

NEWBIES -  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME WITH QUESTIONS..... MY RULE IS THIS: MESSAGE ME A QUESTION, LET ME ANSWER IT, QUOTE ME ANONYMOUSLY - AND MAKE A FORUM POST TO MAKE SURE WHAT I SAID IS GUIDING YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!  Because again, I am still a newb....****

• I will say this... if you are  in a warm climate and are concerned about keeping your product cold... Like I was for many months.. read my post about box trucks.... however the knowledge is transferable to most vehicles!!!

HI all! 

I am writing this post for the SOLE INTENTION of helping out people who are new or who are considering entering the industry... similar to me in the last 6-12 months. 

1. I am an ultimate newb and have made mistakes like any other business owner.
  2. The aforementioned being true... I HIGHLY recommend you read ALL of my posts... my posts represent a VERY helpful guide to newbs like yourself and I.
  3. My biggest mistake was buying a route without doing research. The best research you can do is ask the people on this forum about what you want to buy...
  4. I NEVER FULLY understood what I have read on these forums until I lived it myself. This forum is free so use it.....
  • DO NOT GO OUT AND SPEND EVEN A LITTLE MONEY (AKA ONE MACHINE) OR A BUNCH OF MONEY (AKA ONE ROUTE) WITHOUT CONSULTING THIS FORUM!!!!  A 5 MINUTE POST ON THIS FORUM COULD SAVE YOU 1) FIRST AND FOREMOST - HEADACHES 2) THOUSANDS OF $$$$!!!!!!!
  • I hope you heed my bolded words... I cannot stress this enough
  1. Repairs and maintenance happen everyday, if you are not mechanically inclined like myself... it may be rough... it has been roguh for me but is getting better
  2. IF YOU THINK that this industry sounds easy.... it is not... the truth is that the margins are slim and the good accounts are taken.. I BUILT A NEST EGG TO INVEST, AND IT IS EXPENSIVE......  

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS INDUSTRY WAS SO SIMPLE AND HAVE BEEN EYEING IT FOR MANY YEARS....  EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED... SOMETHING THAT IS AN EVERYDAY STRUGGLE FOR MYSELF (AND PRESUMABLY ALL VENDORS, ESPECIALLY BEGINNERS, IS:)

• HAVING OLD AND OUT-DATED MACHINES:
  • GETTING AN ACCOUNT WORTH ITS WHILE
  • MACHINE UPKEEP AND MAINTENANCE
  • PRODUCT SELECTION, FIGURING OUT WHAT YOUR ACCOUNTS LIKE
  • CAPITAL INVESTMENT - SURE IT SEEMS CHEAP AT FIRST... BUT START FACTORING IN MAINTENANCE, REPAIRS, CC READERS, ETC..
  • TO DO IT RIGHT IN MY OPINION YOU NEED A BOX TRUCK OR SOMETHING SIMILAR... MORE MONEY
  • HOW MUCH TIME YOU SPEND SHOPPING... VISTAR IS NICE BUT IS EXPENSIVE
  • ACCOUNT CONTACTS BEING JERKS... EVERYONE THINKS YOU ARE GETTING RICH
  • ALWAYS BEING ON CALL FOR PROBLEMS AT ACCOUNTS, DEALING WITH INDECENT COMPLAINTS
  • MANAGING WASTE 
  • MISC. BIZ EXPENSES..... INSURANCE, CAR INSURANCE... TAXES.... THE LIST GOES MUCH DEEPER...
  • MACHINE UPKEEP

This is great advice and all good points for newbies to consider and look out for . Repairs like to have eat me up my first year and then more and more I learned to repair the machines myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived