Frito Lay Expiration Dates

Why is it that their expiration dates are so bad. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think it's because they know how popular their products are and they monopolize on it... how come other chips can go 6 months and theirs go only two months... I think they do it on purpose, and I resent every Frito Lays purchase I make... I resent supporting their brutal strategy... But I have no choice..

Conspiracy theory #1: If there was a universal boycott of them because of their "what I think is BS" expiration dates... Those dates could almost instantly go two months longer.

Opinion #1: I ABSOLUTELY WHOLE HEARTEDLY think that I KNOW they could very easily increase their expiration dates several months more, but Opinion #2 They are scumbags and won't do it because they know their position....

Ugh...

I don't like Frito Lays..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Regardless of what the other chip expiration dates are, if you can't sell a bag of chips in 2 months then you don't have good enough accounts for snacks or it's just a poor choice for that account.  Longer shelf lives means more preservatives so you could say that Frito Lay has a higher quality product perhaps.  You can't argue with their success and these same dates apply on the retail shelf, too.  Keep in mind that in the grand scheme of things, vending chips are slow sellers so there is a longer time from manufacture to distributor to where you buy it for a lot of the time to be used up.

You also don't want to eat those chips 2 month after they expire because the do lose much of their fresh taste.  Stop worrying about simple stuff and things that have always been.  

• 4 weeks later...

I could always tell the difference between a bag of chips at the end of its date-life and a fresh bag. I would occasionally snack on a bag that was past the sell date and I can still remember how stale they tasted. There's no way I would want to eat, or sell, chips that were 3 to 6 months old.

No worthwhile account should take two months plus to sell the stock of inventory in the machine, and your own purchasing should not result in having such old product sitting around.

28 minutes ago, Apple Leisure said:

Plus Grandma's cookies are Frito Lay (right?) and their dates are usually much better than the chips.  I think the chips are just more susceptible.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure the discussion is geared specifically toward chips.  Some chips last longer than others but I think Russ nailed it when he said "No worthwhile account should take two months plus to sell the stock of inventory in the machine, and your own purchasing should not result in having such old product sitting around." The same logic applies when you find yourself stocking items with long shelf lives.  If you put items with long shelf lives specifically so the machine doesn't look so empty, then the account probably needs to go.  I have actually begun to make some very important changes to my route.. these changes are reducing stales while also cutting service time significantly.  It's also allowing me more time to perform necessary upgrades and repairs.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:28 PM, orsd said:

Keep in mind that Lay's doesn't want short shelf lives either, because they have to buyback any unsold stales from c stores.

Oh wow, now THIS is why I come to the forums! You are right about that, and I completely forgot..... Very interesting...... It does debunk my theory quite a bit!

Several heads are certainly better than one!

• 11 months later...

Sams is bad about product rotation in general, and the chip aisle seems to be the worst.  I always dig for the best dates and can often find dates 10 weeks out.  If you look at the nutrition label you will see on most of their product there are no preservatives added to the food itself; they seal nitrogen in the bag to exclude oxygen and prolong the shelf life. 

With product that moves as quickly as Lays, there's no reason anyone should be selling or stocking out of date product. I'm not sure but I believe at least in the past they used to credit us back for outdates rather than have it be sold. 

However when it comes to vending, I don't much care what the dates are, if I'm buying chips in August I remember the guy stocking on his last visit here two months ago, I'm not going to be very likely to buy it nor will I be much impressed with this level of 'service'. Seeing items changed around on a fairly regular basis makes me as a customer think that the vendor actually cares about what he's trying to sell me.

Archived