Cb500 power issues

I have a cb500 in my garage that ive turned on and off several times.

Today when I went to go turn it on it flipped the gfi switch. So i unplugged everything except for thr machine and it still flipped the switch....

Im using the same extension cord and outlet as I always have...

The first time i turned it on today I smelt a VERY faint electrical smell nesr thr in/off switch.

Any idea what this could be?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The power switch has probably failed.  USI soda power switches have always been weak.  For example the older CB700s finally changed over to the same switch used in the frozen machine because of how often the original switches failed. 

Pull the switch out and you'll probably find it melted on the back side. Now this could have happened from using it on an extension cord.  A way too long cord can cause too much current loss causing the machine to try pulling too much which can melt the weakest link.

The power switch has probably failed.  USI soda power switches have always been weak.  For example the older CB700s finally changed over to the same switch used in the frozen machine because of how often the original switches failed. 

Pull the switch out and you'll probably find it melted on the back side. Now this could have happened from using it on an extension cord.  A way too long cord can cause too much current loss causing the machine to try pulling too much which can melt the weakest link.

Where would you expect to see the melt?0fe4b14ee006c7a1ab6de7b4e5d8cdf2.jpgd6ec58bcf649f27c3ab12ae5dcd3a522.jpg

If it's not melted or feeling sluggish when switching it on and off then pull the black or white wire of the refrigeration relay and then see if it still trips. If it does then disconnect the light circuit and then the power transformer, then the evap fan. Those are all of the 110v circuits in the machine.

If everything is fine then get a heavier and shorter extension cord.

If it's not melted or feeling sluggish when switching it on and off then pull the black or white wire of the refrigeration relay and then see if it still trips. If it does then disconnect the light circuit and then the power transformer, then the evap fan. Those are all of the 110v circuits in the machine.

Okay, so when I do switch it on it will make a quick noise like its trying, but then pops the switch

The inline device is not a surge protector, its a GFCI.  If it is what buzzes or trips just cut it off the cord and put a good three prong wall plug on it.  Those are government mandated BS and they are very weak to begin with. 

Will the manual help me identify where to find the plugs/relays/switches for all of these?

The refrigeration relay is above the power switch you pointed to.  If the lights work then that isn't the problem but if you need to disable them then find the light ballast which is in the door and unplug it. The evaporator fan has wiring inside the cabinet under the delivery chute that should have a disconnect there.  But if that fan runs then it's not the issue.

I'm assuming that's what he means.  Disconnect each one, one at a time, and then plug it back in if it's not the problem.  Should be a matter of flipping the switch off, disconnecting one, turning the switch on and see if it shorts, and turning power back off and reconnecting if it doesn't short.  From there, you'll at least be able to trace what device is shorting out.  I'm assuming that's what he means... be careful.

I'm assuming that's what he means.  Disconnect each one, one at a time, and then plug it back in if it's not the problem.  Should be a matter of flipping the switch off, disconnecting one, turning the switch on and see if it shorts, and turning power back off and reconnecting if it doesn't short.  From there, you'll at least be able to trace what device is shorting out.  I'm assuming that's what he means... be careful.

And if nothing shorts then its my extension cord!

No.  That will just turn off the electronics.  That will prevent the logic board from turning the compressor on.  If this stops the issue then unplug the relay by your power switch, either the white or black wire, and plug the transformer back in and try again.  If that still stops the issue then you could have a bad compressor.  If it still trips then you could have a shorted relay or bad logic board.  In this case unplug one yellow wire from the relay and see if it still happens.  If so the it's a bad relay.  If pulling one yellow wire and that stops the tripping then the logic board is the problem.

No.  That will just turn off the electronics.  That will prevent the logic board from turning the compressor on.  If this stops the issue then unplug the relay by your power switch, either the white or black wire, and plug the transformer back in and try again.  If that still stops the issue then you could have a bad compressor.  If it still trips then you could have a shorted relay or bad logic board.  In this case unplug one yellow wire from the relay and see if it still happens.  If so the it's a bad relay.  If pulling one yellow wire and that stops the tripping then the logic board is the problem.

Unplug this relay?524808b35d7f2a9487a470862977567f.jpg

When i pull this black/white wire Machine still turns on. If I unplug either the black or white wire from the power switch the machine won't turn on.91b67cd4b6ed6a4552109db25ccca624.jpg

Archived