!!!WARNING!!!! Locations Poached!

bbeckl

so for most of us, I think we understand the simple concept of, "If its not yours, leave it alone." My parents taught me that when i was a child.

I've taught that to my children, and hopefully, one day, my children will teach that to their children.  Someone in my area wasnt taught that

lesson as a child.

So, a while back, someone started putting their number on the back of our pink ribbon candy for a cause box. we saw a few that were far from

home, didnt think much of it. But then we started seeing more, and more of our boxes with the same, or different numbers on them.

I decided to text the number after we got kicked from a location, to let him know the box was empty (hope you enjoyed the drive, and got the 

location back!) . he quickly replied, apologized, and then said he would come replace the box ASAP. remember... this was a location i had had

for almost 1 year. not this other guy. so time goes on, dont think much of it. today, we are out running our route, and find 2 of our locations in a

row, that have this guys number on it. locations we have had for WELL over a year. being pretty disgusted, i decided to call the number.

i called, and got the "high, youve reached candy for a cause, blah blah blah". i hung up, called right back. He answers. Long story short, 

he tells me that he owns those zip codes, and all the boxes in that zip code belong to him, because he bought the zip code agreement.

i explained to him that NO, you DONT own ANYTHING. especially things that ive paid for, and spent years putting together. he 

went on to ask me, " how do we resolve this?" i explained that we "resolve this" by not touching my property. thats it. easy as that, right?

no. not that easy. this guy is convinced that everything in the zip codes that he "owns" are his, and that i have to get permission to place my 

boxes there. i tried to explain that what he is doing is theft, and he justified it by saying, "no, its not, because im putting down the exact 

same thing. im just replacing it. 

Ok... look. if someone takes my car, and replaces it with the same car, there's a good chance i lost something in that car, right? 

point is, by taking my box, and putting yours down, doesnt make it ok. and you DONT own what IVE PAID FOR. 

i also sent this same guy a text. pretty aggressive i may add, explaining to him i don't like thieves, and it wont be fun for anyone once we 

inevitably cross paths. in the end, he talked down to me for not being "professional". WTF ?!?!??!  PROFESSIONAL?!?!? are YOU F*****G

KIDDING ME?!?!?! yeah, about as professional as id be if i caught soemone breaking into my car. get real whatever your name is!

in the end, i called Margaret at candy for a cause (thank you for listening and helping). She called the other vendor, and explained to 

him thats not how it works, and then she called me back, and reassured me, he understands its a gentlemans agreement. if someone else 

has a box there, leave it alone. 

i have zero issues with competition, i just wanna get that out there. if someone can get a location to accept a second, third, fourth, 25th

box, more power to them! but leave MINE alone. would any of you bulk vendors react with kindness and understanding if your singles,

doubles, or racks started getting replaced by someone who claims they "bought a zip code, now everything in that zip code is theirs!"?

no. no one would. 

SO. MESSAGE TO WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS IF YOU READ THIS, leave MY S**T alone. i put in a lot of hard work , money, and effort to

perfectly build, and time this route, and you really messing it up. Margaret reassured me everything was fine from here on, and i hope thats

true. 

BUT!!!! i can reassure you also.... especially when youre in SE Portland... you know, the place where the sirens seem to never stop? dont

come here, or anyhwere else i have property, and take it. ill treat that situation the same as if i caught you breaking into my car. just a 

friendly heads up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did it get fixed? I'd call and find out what zips are available around you and get them. I would also call and dike a police report. It's technically a civil matter, but lays the ground work. Anyone that arrogant and self righteous won't stop there I'm sure. 

Buy up as many zips as possible.  Honor boxes are getting saturated.  It's only time beefier there's more.  Business owners well start kicking everyone out before long if there's too many. 

This guy is nothing but a THIEF!  No one can make a claim that they "purchased" territory and that allows them sole rights to a territory.  Something like that ONLY applies if you and he were part of the same organization, like a franchise and were providing the SAME service for the SAME company.  I am an independent honor snack vendor in Michigan.  NO ONE can purchase Zip Codes or any territorial rights from ANY company and/or charity organization and take my market area.  It's called FREE MARKET and anyone can set up shop and compete.  I would report him to the police and file charges.  

On 8/1/2017 at 2:36 PM, flintflash said:

No one can make a claim that they "purchased" territory and that allows them sole rights to a territory.  Something like that ONLY applies if you and he were part of the same organization, like a franchise and were providing the SAME service for the SAME company.  I am an independent honor snack vendor in Michigan.  NO ONE can purchase Zip Codes or any territorial rights from ANY company and/or charity organization and take my market area.  It's called FREE MARKET and anyone can set up shop and compete. 

What it comes down to is this: two people cannot get together and make an agreement that deprives a third party of their rights. Period. Unless you all belong to the same outfit and they assign territories / zip codes / whatever, if you are not associated with them they cannot deprive you of your right to place boxes anywhere that will accept them.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:45 PM, Russ said:

What it comes down to is this: two people cannot get together and make an agreement that deprives a third party of their rights. Period. Unless you all belong to the same outfit and they assign territories / zip codes / whatever, if you are not associated with them they cannot deprive you of your right to place boxes anywhere that will accept them.

You summed up my response perfectly!   Anyone taking ANYBODY's snack trays should be reported to the police as a thief.   :) 

On 8/7/2017 at 5:01 PM, flintflash said:

You summed up my response perfectly!   Anyone taking ANYBODY's snack trays should be reported to the police as a thief.   :) 

Going a step forward than what was quoted,  unless you are both part of the same program (as mentioned) and he bought the rights and you didn't, then that only permits him to demand that you remove your boxes so he can place his.  To simply STEAL your box though... well.. it's redundant to say this, but it's 100% theft.  If I parked in a parking spot that you supposedly paid for, that doesn't mean that you now own the car.  So yes, your boxes were 100% stolen.

Hey everyone sorry for not getting back into the convo here. As of now, things seemed to have been peacefully resolved. 

I agree with everyone, it's a lowlife criminal thing to do. There's some definite gray areas here, but it seems to be back to normal. Hope everyone is doing well! 

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2017 at 10:58 PM, rodney69 said:

Did it get fixed? I'd call and find out what zips are available around you and get them. I would also call and dike a police report. It's technically a civil matter, but lays the ground work. Anyone that arrogant and self righteous won't stop there I'm sure. 

Buy up as many zips as possible.  Honor boxes are getting saturated.  It's only time beefier there's more.  Business owners well start kicking everyone out before long if there's too many. 

Do you know what those Zip Code Agreements even mean on the Sheridan Systems? Like I cannot have a box in said zip code if someone else bought the zip code i dont get it

While Sheridan CAN get an agreement with their honor box customers to place boxes only in certain areas, that does not mean that nobody else in the world can place any in those areas. They have no exclusive reservation on zip codes. If one of their honor-box customers laboring under that mis-apprehension thinks they are entitled to put their sticker on someone else's honor box because 'they own that zip code', that isn't a civil matter, that is criminal theft. They can't just steal your box, your product, and I might add, the MONEY in it, because they made an agreement that was either bogus or else very poorly explained.

that isn't what there zip agreement is even for. They don't own the zip code and all the other assumptions on this thread. If you buy the zip agreement, it only stops them from selling boxes to other vendors in those zip codes. Any vendor can place a box anywhere they want.

Archived