I smell a rat

So I don't know what's going on this year, but I have 2 accounts where rats are getting in the machines. I have been putting out bait blocks in the bottom of machines, and they devour them. I have told both locations they need a professional, but they refuse to hire someone. Anyone run into this problem? How did you handle it?

I don't know about rats, but mice are a problem at one single location. The problem is how they get in. My solution is to scrap the Rowe and I install a national that I hope they can't breach.  If you can keep them from getting in, problem solved.  Check where the cord cones in, the change opening, and the delivery door.

Wittern/USI have plugs where the cord comes in. Mice can use the cord to climb into the cabinet. Take a flashlight and check to make sure they aren't getting in from there.  If the plug is gone, you should replace it, but you can use steel wool. Just don't be cheap about it. Use plenty of steel wool so they can't possibly pull the whole wad out.

I have no idea.  I can only think of three machines where I had problems. One was a USI and they got in as mentioned. One was an AP 113 with the same problem. The other machine is a Rowe and it's an ongoing issue, but the only current issue.

USI machines all have plugs in the bottom of the cabinets that can pop out so make sure those are all in place as well as the rubber power cord strain relief.  Sticky traps in the bottom of the machine will work because they will run around in there whenever they get in.

ok, so....

Problem: Seaga VS3800,

I've been across this before, bought one machine out of long island that was sitting around in the back yard, set it up, worked very nice, workers started complaining of rats coming out from under the hoods and running back to the machine, ok, so I sealed up the machine, didn't think anything of it, they started coming out from the vending chute, damn! after about 2 weeks of trying to figure out what the heck was going on and where they were going to inside the machine was crazy, I even brought in a wire cam so I can see inside and behind the chute, winds up, there was a space between the compressor and where the cold air went into the machine, the compressor was always warm, the water runoff was enough to drink from, and at night when the compressor stopped working, they would run out into the warm engines of the cars, crazy huh? so me and owner agreed to go half on the exterminator, rats only go by the edges and corners, so we setup traps all over the shop, but mostly where we saw them, every morning we had at least 1 down, I tell you this, they were the most cleanest rats you'll ever see! and I mean CLEAN! pink paws, grey coats! a few days later the problem was solved! rats were gone, shop was happy!

sorry guys, no pics :(

problem 2:

seaga office deli....

apparently every vending machine ever made comes with a flaw, its got a golpher load of holes! youll never seal them all up, its too crazy, mice and rats seem to have super jumping powers, that can get into the snack section above the soda that is completely sealed off. 

solution: find some STEEL WOOL, and wrap it around the wire or plug the holes with it, they are not getting through that! any other holes that you see you can probably seal up with silicone from the inside, and I would clean up the trays with alcohol or with a dishwasher (yes, remove all the motors from the trays) don't do all at the same time! one at a time.

bait...

you can buy the bait blocks, what the package doesn't tell you, is that you cannot touch it with your hands, once it gets a human scent on it, they will not eat it. so wear gloves, 

bait 2:

bait blocks and peanut butter, mix it, and set it up around wherever you thing they are passing through, make sure you mix the bait in good, I would set it up above ground, above the lights, every store has those white tiles that go with the lights, take one down, if you see poop, you know where to set up, same goes for on ground, not in the machine! as it will stink up! also you can setup some humane and inhumane traps along the walls

enjoy

13 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Wittern/USI have plugs where the cord comes in. Mice can use the cord to climb into the cabinet. Take a flashlight and check to make sure they aren't getting in from there.  If the plug is gone, you should replace it, but you can use steel wool. Just don't be cheap about it. Use plenty of steel wool so they can't possibly pull the whole wad out.

They eat the rubber plugs out of my two machines.

3 hours ago, EternalVend said:

Ultrasonic Pest repellent is a good buy.

From what I have read, not so much, at least by themselves. They temporarily cause the mice to run around more until they become accustomed to the sound. They have been found to work better in association with a trap. Since they move around more in reaction to the sound, they are more likely to come into contact with a trap.

Personnaly I had a problem with mices.They were getting inside my Crane Genesis and then leave droppings inside.Each visit I had to clean the goddam thing.I talked with the factory manager,he called professional and I put lavender scented cat litter inside a cup,inside my machine.Mices hate that odor.Problem solved.

Archived