Burnt control board.

AngryChris

I juat upgraded a location that, coincidentally, called me today because it was spitting out coins.  The board (AP 7600) was buzzing and display was completely lit/flashing as the mech would spir our coins every 10 seconds or so.

I did not confirm if the mech was bad, but i am certain that the board was.  It appeared as if it burnt up around several resisters near the heat sink or whatever that part is called.  My question is.. does this sound like a simple case where a board went bad? Or does it sound like something else caused this?  The old board is going in the trash.  I am strictly concerned about the inone board i just installed. And yes, it is currently working fine.

Check your power cord for damage/missing ground. Also, there could have been a stray dime in the changer. I hope you changed everything to MDB. Also, a flickering florescent bulb will drive the machine nuts. 

No flickering bulb, but i DID hear a coin in the mech.  I don't know how it got there though.

I did not change it to MDB because i don't have any spare components at the moment, but i will ideally put a 7512 and 2712 in there.

Oh, and i discovered that the ground coming from the motor harness was not tight to the slide panel.  Perhaps that allowed the board to fry.  Maybe i should throw that mech out.

On a side note, are trc 6000's with metal backs significantly older than plastic ones or visa versa?  I have a lot of spares that i need to get rid of.

Yes the metal backed ones are the older ones.  You need to be careful and not use the metal back TRC6000s in AP6/7K machines because loose grounds in the machine will feedback into the coin mech.  It's a known issue with those machines.

9 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Yes the metal backed ones are the older ones.  You need to be careful and not use the metal back TRC6000s in AP6/7K machines because loose grounds in the machine will feedback into the coin mech.  It's a known issue with those machines.

I remembered that the metal-backed ones had problems but I didn't know if they were older.  I am getting rid of those then.  I have plenty other TRC 6000's as well as 9300-L's.  I also have a 6010 with a metal back that I may just toss as I never see them and I have plenty 9302-L's.

Thanks for the info.

Archived