Jump to content
newguy47591

National 14 dba issue

Recommended Posts

Have a National 147 ...was missing dba when I received it. Inside has a Mars 6000 changer. 

The note on the door said at one time it had a mars 2501 dba in it..so i pulled out 2 dbas that came in the multi machine deal to..both mars 2500 dbas.. plugged both in and both cycle but immediately the light flashes twice on the dba ...meaning "disabled from mech/VMC"

I played with the dip switches on the unit but no matter how i set them it still has same issue..both my dbas are doing this..so now i wonder if both dbas could be bad? maybe my harness from dba to machine is wrong harness?  I do notice the machine has 2 connectors that come out by dba area..my harness only connects to the white square one...

Any ideas?

a3.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you press the door switch to take it out of diagnostic mode? When the door is open, it disables them and goes to diagnostics. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few things you need to know.  Firstly, you should try it with the door closed so that the door switch is depressed before you can tell if the validator is working or not.  Secondly, you need at least about 12 nickels, dimes, and quarters in their respective slots in the coin mech so that the machine knows it can give enough change to actually take a bill.  Thirdly, you need to make sure that the coin mech is actually working.  The easiest way to do that is to put money in (change), enough to cover more than a cheap item (ie. 80 cents for a 65 cent item) and make sure it takes everything (nickels, dimes, quarters) and gives change back properly.  If all checks out, then your validators COULD be bad but I suspect that you just need change or something silly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

There are a few things you need to know.  Firstly, you should try it with the door closed so that the door switch is depressed before you can tell if the validator is working or not.  Secondly, you need at least about 12 nickels, dimes, and quarters in their respective slots in the coin mech so that the machine knows it can give enough change to actually take a bill.  Thirdly, you need to make sure that the coin mech is actually working.  The easiest way to do that is to put money in (change), enough to cover more than a cheap item (ie. 80 cents for a 65 cent item) and make sure it takes everything (nickels, dimes, quarters) and gives change back properly.  If all checks out, then your validators COULD be bad but I suspect that you just need change or something silly.

 

I know the mech works..I put a roll of quarters in as machine kept saying correct change needed..so i put roll of quarters in and set all prices for 50 cents and now it says ready.. i didnt close the door when i tried to make dba work so ill try that tomorrow and put in a roll of dimes and nickels also just in case..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You HAVE to have nickels in the machine regardless of the prices.  What if someone only had a quarter and three dimes? Your machine would need a nickel.  That is why you MUST have nickels.  When i swap mechs, i only put about 15 of each denomination in and test the machine before i fill it up.  That way, i avoid exact-change problems and i don't have to empty the entire mech should it not work for some reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK,,coin mech works,,,filled with change (nickals, quarters, dimes) and gives change... plug the dbas back in and both keep saying  2 flashes... even close the door and wait a minute or so and dbas are still dead.  Now what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 flashes USUALLY means something is disabling the validator.  Either the mech or the board.  Your switches could be wrong, your harnesses could be wrong/disconnected/missing, the board could be messed up, or your coin mech could still be bad.  I would start with the switches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have 1, 2, and 4 on (and 6 if your validator takes 5's).  You may need to mess with 7&8 to see if some combination will make the validators work.  There is also the possibility that both validators are bad.

 

My money is on switch settings, bad coin mech, or a harness problem.  I don't think it's a board or validator problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your door switch could be faulty too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your configuration settings. The harness you show looks like a pulse comm harness.

Capture.JPG2_zpsx2vl2by5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2017 at 7:46 PM, AngryChris said:

You should have 1, 2, and 4 on (and 6 if your validator takes 5's).  You may need to mess with 7&8 to see if some combination will make the validators work.  There is also the possibility that both validators are bad.

 

My money is on switch settings, bad coin mech, or a harness problem.  I don't think it's a board or validator problem.

I think either the dbas are bad or i have the wrong harness..i have another national 147 in shop and i plugged in both validators and they are doing same thing flashing twice.. i messed with the switches on the side like you mentioned still nothing. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2017 at 7:06 AM, lacanteen said:

Check your configuration settings. The harness you show looks like a pulse comm harness.

Capture.JPG2_zpsx2vl2by5.jpg

lll try this tomorrow also.. which one do i choose on the list? i assume "pulse $1" ...thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my reference chart, the setting is dependent on the harness. Hopefully your harness has the number on it. Harness #1471073 is for pulse, #1471277 is for serial. Your switch setting should be 1,2 4,8 all on for either interface and only serial interface will take $5s if the DBA is capable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×