how many different products to inventory

AMD Snacks

I'm going over the inventory for this route I bought, and all the 2" capsules machines seem to have different products. So far I count over 15 different types of products across the locations. I'm trying to figure out why this previous owner didn't just have like 6 different products (the biggest location has 6 2" machines) and keep them all the same? Anybody care to chime in? How many different capsules to you stock at once? 

On 2" I keep around 4-5 different products and usually make my own mix as well. I think that's plenty to rotate with. I dint have more than 4 2" heads at any location. Same with the 1", but I Also have bouncy balls as well. 

I bought a large vending company and am downsizing the inventory as well. Our largest locations have 8 2” heads so I am getting it down to 8 now. We had 13-15 when I started and still am finding locations with 4-5 products I have never purchased or stocked. 

28 minutes ago, What The Deck said:

Are they licensed products or generic? 

It's a mixture of both what I would call licensed and generic. Some DC stuff, some Spongebob stuff, NFL etc. and some jewelry, charms, guns etc. 

20 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

On 2" I keep around 4-5 different products and usually make my own mix as well. I think that's plenty to rotate with. I dint have more than 4 2" heads at any location. Same with the 1", but I Also have bouncy balls as well. 

Yeah, my plan is to basically have 6 to 8 products, and just make all the locations the same, then maybe after the 2nd time service switch them all to a new set of products. I think on average I probably switch my 2" product 3 times a year 

3 hours ago, Bulk32 said:

I bought a large vending company and am downsizing the inventory as well. Our largest locations have 8 2” heads so I am getting it down to 8 now. We had 13-15 when I started and still am finding locations with 4-5 products I have never purchased or stocked. 

So if you get it down to 8 , and you have a location with 8 -2" machines ......arent you going to rotate some to something different next service time?  I'm fairy new to all this and i often wonder about this sort of thing.   Another thing  , if you have 3-4 locations in a small town, shouldnt  you run different product in each location for maximum sales? 

you just need enough variety so you can rotate old stock out, basically after 60 days or so the average product will slow down a lot ( every customer has seen it). Once in awhile a product will come along that sells for a very long time, NFL helmets is one of those, it actually sells anytime of year. but even it will slow down if left in too long. So there is no one answer to the question. Depends on your rotation, and number of stops. The bad part about getting to much of one item so the inventory is "simplified" is that if you buy a dud, and you will, you are stuck with a lot of it. I probably have more variety than most but I seldom get stuck with a dud.

• Like 1

Every rack I have has at least two flat items. I know that there are some places I would be somewhat better off with no flat and another 2" cap machine as far as gross goes. But you really need to look at your average cost of goods. Merchandising a rack takes more thought than most operators want to do. For example, even the highest priced flat items will come in at 20% product cost (50 cent vend), premium 2" comes in at 26% or more (75 cent vend) flat changes out much faster and requires less warehouse and truck space also lowering "cost".

I run a lot of 27mm balls. They take up a position on the rack and sell very well. I know a lot of larger operators don't run them. I suppose they are afraid of a choking hazard, but the choking hazard is no greater, perhaps less that 1080 or 850 gum. In fact my insurance carrier underwriters have said this. But 27mm balls and gum are great ways to lower average cost.

I cant even imagine a rack with 6 two inch products, let alone 8.  Terrible waste of real estate and impossible to effectively merchandise.  Now I do understand wanting to fill a space to keep others out, that is a valid consideration. But it sure is not cost effective. 

• Like 1

I have 3 floors on a mall. approx 16 2 inch on each floor. i have approximately 35 different items.  I  repeat itens such as fidget spinners and whatever is a hot or steadyy item. I m trying to downsize selection but i sitll have inventory. I am kind of waiting it out on a few items. I also have a few items that just dont do well there but fare better in my other locations. Something sports related dosent do well for me. It would anywhere else. i rotate every 2 months are so. i  put a few things that are on floor 1 on floor 2. Maybe it will do better 

4 hours ago, TWvend said:

So if you get it down to 8 , and you have a location with 8 -2" machines ......arent you going to rotate some to something different next service time?  I'm fairy new to all this and i often wonder about this sort of thing.   Another thing  , if you have 3-4 locations in a small town, shouldnt  you run different product in each location for maximum sales? 

I’ll get it down to 8+ mix but 98% of all locations are only 4 2” heads leaving still a fair bit of variation, even with a 9 rack running mix would supply almost 3 locations without product overlap. We have large grocery stores with multiple entrances, large “studio” style Hispanic sub spaces, etc that have multiple 9 racks mainly for keeping competition out but also they are large enough that if they park on one side of the building they will not go by the other enterance so the cost efficiency still works well. 

Also when you get to a certain size you burn through so much mix that holding onto a dud is not too high on the front of our mind. There are also certain locations you can designate to burn through lesser product even though the rest have been standardized. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, musser said:

you just need enough variety so you can rotate old stock out, basically after 60 days or so the average product will slow down a lot ( every customer has seen it). Once in awhile a product will come along that sells for a very long time, NFL helmets is one of those, it actually sells anytime of year. but even it will slow down if left in too long. So there is no one answer to the question. Depends on your rotation, and number of stops. The bad part about getting to much of one item so the inventory is "simplified" is that if you buy a dud, and you will, you are stuck with a lot of it. I probably have more variety than most but I seldom get stuck with a dud.

Yeah getting duds is a concern of mine too. I should've mentioned I guess, that my locations with 6 or 8 2" machines are Gacha machines, not racks. They also have spirals GB and a BB set up. I normally try to service every 2 months and I change after two of those cycles, has worked for me so far on my normal oak and NW racks. Another question i've been wondering is, how long before you re introduce an old product? I haven't been doing toys long enough yet to do that, but eventually I figure I can bring back my old hot items and they'd sell again. 

unless its a real dud you can reintroduce an item. I cant really say when. I have different people dong different routes so l that isn't that much of a problem, it just seems to work out. One person will bring something back another take it out and usually there is enough activity that I don't have any problems repeating. However there are somethings you can run over and over if you wait a couple of cycles. I have been selling 1" ninjas and 1" aliens for 35 years. There are a few exceptional 2" items also. NFL is the best IMO, there are others but probably depends a lot on the area and venue. I have never done many malls (other here have maybe they can chime in) but they are like Movie Theaters I do, there is enough foot traffic you can be pretty slip shod on rotation. I am primarily a "street" operator so I tend to more robust rotation.

BTW I really don't like Gatchas but I had a fair number once in movie theaters. The display area on top, if you have them on yours, did a god job helping to move product at theaters. As long as it was current movie related product. I eventually replaced them with NW 9 racks. I don't recall a "drop" in ales but I eliminated some coin mech issues and the NW serviced faster. The 2" were at a dollar and 1" fifty cents.

I keep approx 3-4 2" and a gen mix.  I buy several to rotate out over 6-9 months and buy enough of most product's to rotate at about the same rate to keep shipping down along with cost. 

If I had a rack with 4+ 2", I would run a gen mix in 2 of them in opposite ends of the rack with 2 different displays,  the 2 different other product's. 

Might even run 1 45mm head in there at 1.00.

I also run 27mm in every rack.  Helps with shipping, and ties up another head without using another 1" toy.  I only keep 3 on those.