Illinois - Info on licenses, permits, and taxes

Kurt Hamann

I plan on starting a gumball machine business early 2018. I'm based in DuPage county IL. I've done research but it would be nice to hear from someone directly. Any info on licenses, permits, taxes, or anything involved in starting up would be greatly appreciated. I work full time so this would be side income for me. I only plan on doing gumball machines for now. Thank you for your time.

There are some communities in Illinois that have local licensing for vending that includes bulk. But you have check on a town by town basis. Down State there are not too many but in your area I would definitely check. The best way to check is to go some high profile locations with bulk and look for license stamps on the machines. The problem with first going to the city clerk is that a lot of them won’t know or don’t understand the local ordinance. So do some spy work first. In Illinois sales of fifty cents or less from a bulk vending machine are not considered retail sales for tax purposes. You do have to pay sales tax on purchases of goods for sale, you can pay when you but it is better to get your Retail Occupation Tax number and file and pay use tax. Registration is free and can be done on line.

Archived