Based on your experience...

GumballDragon

I was exclusively doing single head gumball machines only, but ran into a huge account that said they would allow me to place the machine, but has to be something other than gumballs (afraid children will mishandle it, etc)...eventually I was able to talk to them into trying the gumballs for 1 month, but I immediately began searching for something to add, in the event, they decide to go back to their original thoughts of adding something in their location other than gumballs.  I read lots of posts in here, and decided to buy skittles.

I'm testing skittles at one location where gumballs are doing approximately 70.00/month.  I switched out the machine with a double, 1 gumball and 1 skittles (vending 10 skittles per vend).  Placed 1 week ago (will wait one full month to analyze the data)

QUESTION for all of you:

1.  Is 10 skittles per vend ok?  I estimated the cost to be approximately 5 cent.

2.  In your experience, if you had a single head gumball machine that performed 25.00 or higher per month, and then you placed another machine with skittles, did your gumball volume decrease significantly or was it marginal?  Did your overall profit increase significantly or marginal?

3. If you had a location where you had 1 single head gumball machine that did not do well at all (2.00-5.00/month), but it was steady traffic location, mainly adults, would you take gumballs out, and just place skittles??  In your experience, did your sales increase significantly?  

Thanks! 

1. Well there is more or less 1427 skittles in a 54 oz bag. So 10 skittles isn't worth much to you and people are probably happy with that vend. I have a pretty generous vend with skittles keep my customers happy.  I assume having more vends makes up in the end than having a higher profit margin.

3. Yes i would i always replace candy at a location before pulling it. I never know if the spot is bad or if im just using the wrong candy. Sometimes replaced gumballs or vice versa. But the candy i do use to replace is Skittles. IMO if any candy can save s location its skittles

Skittles are great because they're more durable than some other candies. I normally try Mike and Ikes personally. They sell well for me. Any candy next to gumballs brings down my gumball sells so far. 10 skittles sounds about fair, I normally go by weight and make just make sure i'm happy with the profit, i honestly don't remember exactly the amount I vend. 

Sometimes, when the location already has GB or doesn't want them,  I switch out the GB for Bouncy balls and put a candy in the other head, same vend price, same size, does well where there are kids. 

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to those results! It's always trial and error with finding what's going to sell best at locations. I tend to go in the door with Hot Tamales or Mike & Ike. Fruity, and cinnamon. In the 3rd head I'll experiment, maybe gumballs, or chicle tabs... Maybe even Runts, but Runts... For me... I have 30lbs of Runts in vacuum sealed bags right now because I just can't move them. The one candy I was absolutely CERTAIN on, was Runts... And I'm stuck with them haha But when trying new candies I only fill my machines up halfway, then come back in a week or 2 and check on them. That way I'm not ending up with machines full of stale candy. Something I learned the hard way LOL

I have one account now, it's a break room in a factory... Just a lil' 3 head 1-800 vend machine... Originally I had Runts, Chicle Tabs, and Hot Tamales. The Runts, well most of those quarters were mine... LOL The HT did exceptionally well, and the chicles were, OK at best... I changed the Runts for M&M's, and the Chicle Tabs for Reese's Pieces, and it's a complete flop. However, in doing that, the HT's are now doing double the sales... I've had to fill that head up 3 times since Thanksgiving... In the next week or so I'm going to swap out the Reese's Pieces with Mike & Ike and see how that goes. I might even replace the M&M's back with the Chicle Tabs... My wife suggested I put a vendesign 4-in1 in there with only Mike & Ikes and Hot Tamales... That's possibly another move I'll make... I think I'm rambling now at this point... Sorry...

Anyway, my point is, it's all trial and error. Don't get discouraged. You'll find the one that goes well there... Skittles is a good replacement when nothing else is working though. I can vouch for that much. And I have my machines set up to vend 10-12 Skittles per quarter.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide information and insight.  Over 1 month ago, I was exclusively vending Gumballs, and recently expanded my selection to Skittles, MM, PMM, Mike & Ike, and now Bouncy Balls.  Expanding with doubles, triples, quads, and singles.  It was the best decision I could've made.  

*LOCATION 1: First location test:  single GB, added a double (GB and Skittles), skittles hit over 50.00, 30 day cycle:  GB data was flawed as I had an issue with my GB wheel, but still hit over 20.00 on GB alone...(replaced the wheel and now its straight---better and more accurate data next month)

My immediate response:

*LOCATION 2: pulled a GB single from a low volume location that was performing at 3.00/4.00 per month:  switched it out with single head Skittles:  30 day data = 9.00 

*LOCATION 3: Went back into a location where I pulled out completely (it was mainly adults, high traffic location, but GB just didn't perform...pulled out 4 months ago, and immediately placed single Skittles:  GB data before I pulled = 3.00 per month.  Skittles, 30 day cycle = 22.00

*LOCATION 4: Location where Single GB were doing 6.00 per month.  Added a double GB/Skittles:  30 day cycle:  GB dropped to 5.00 (marginal change), Skittles at 11.50

*LOCATION 5: Pulled GB out (was doing 5.00/month) replaced with single stand Skittles, 30 day cycle = 11.00

*LOCATION 6: Added a Double, GB/Skittles:  GB single was doing 8.00/month:  30 days later:  GB = reduced maginally to 5.25, and Skittles 15.50

I pushed forward and aggressively with Quads, Triples, more doubles, and more switching low volume GB with Single Skittles in locations that i pulled out of previously.  Awaiting that data.  Overall, I had amazing results, and wish I would've done this at the beginning lol

• 8 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, GumballDragon said:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide information and insight.  Over 1 month ago, I was exclusively vending Gumballs, and recently expanded my selection to Skittles, MM, PMM, Mike & Ike, and now Bouncy Balls.  Expanding with doubles, triples, quads, and singles.  It was the best decision I could've made.  

*LOCATION 1: First location test:  single GB, added a double (GB and Skittles), skittles hit over 50.00, 30 day cycle:  GB data was flawed as I had an issue with my GB wheel, but still hit over 20.00 on GB alone...(replaced the wheel and now its straight---better and more accurate data next month)

My immediate response:

*LOCATION 2: pulled a GB single from a low volume location that was performing at 3.00/4.00 per month:  switched it out with single head Skittles:  30 day data = 9.00 

*LOCATION 3: Went back into a location where I pulled out completely (it was mainly adults, high traffic location, but GB just didn't perform...pulled out 4 months ago, and immediately placed single Skittles:  GB data before I pulled = 3.00 per month.  Skittles, 30 day cycle = 22.00

*LOCATION 4: Location where Single GB were doing 6.00 per month.  Added a double GB/Skittles:  30 day cycle:  GB dropped to 5.00 (marginal change), Skittles at 11.50

*LOCATION 5: Pulled GB out (was doing 5.00/month) replaced with single stand Skittles, 30 day cycle = 11.00

*LOCATION 6: Added a Double, GB/Skittles:  GB single was doing 8.00/month:  30 days later:  GB = reduced maginally to 5.25, and Skittles 15.50

I pushed forward and aggressively with Quads, Triples, more doubles, and more switching low volume GB with Single Skittles in locations that i pulled out of previously.  Awaiting that data.  Overall, I had amazing results, and wish I would've done this at the beginning lol

Any new data here that you can share?

I have been putting out doubles this week with GB/chiclets and GB/Skittles. I will let you know how they do in 30 days.

Everything else is still getting GB/BB if there are kids.

Archived