DN 501 drops multiple cans

labryan3

Hello! I have an 8 selection Dixie Narco 501 that vends multiple cans on lane three. It even unloads a few cans when you open or shut the door. Also the motor doesn't return to home when it stops. What are some things I can look at. Thanks for any ideas. 

It sounds like a sticky brake given what you have given.  This should be either a 501-T or 501-MPC.  If this is a wide column, then make sure you have 6 notches in the cam.  Tap the brake to see if it seems to be sticky or slow to move.  If so, you need to unplug the machine and use some soapy water to clean it until it responds like the rest of the brakes should.  It's okay to feel like it has play in it, but it should not feel firm or like it has a lot of friction somewhere.  It should only move maybe half an inch if that, but its sole purpose is to stop the motor from turning.  

If the brake doesn't appear to be the problem, then you may have a bad switch.  One way I use to test a switch (which is probably not a reliable method but it works for me) is to take the switch off  temporarily and press on the switch (use the switch arm/lever to do this) and see how it feels.  If it clicks almost instantly, and feels like a firm click, then you are probably fine.  If it feels almost soft and doesn't click quickly or seems almost loose, then it's probably worn out and it doesn't respond fast enough before the motor coasts past the notch in the cam, which will prevent the brake from stopping it in time.  It could also be that both the brake is sticking and the switch is bad, especially if you had a can burst at some point.

Nope, it's a bad motor switch.  The board sends a pulse to the switch when you open and close the door to see if the motor is home and if the switch is bad the board doesn't know the motor is home so it tries to home the motor causing the dropped can.  When one motor switch goes bad you should do them all.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom if you need switches for it.

On 12/11/2017 at 8:46 PM, AZVendor said:

Nope, it's a bad motor switch.  The board sends a pulse to the switch when you open and close the door to see if the motor is home and if the switch is bad the board doesn't know the motor is home so it tries to home the motor causing the dropped can.  When one motor switch goes bad you should do them all.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom if you need switches for it.

This is correct. 

Archived