CC Readers and Telemeters

gelaro

I am thinking of adding a couple of cc readers on some accounts to see how they do. I see the readers on Ebay without telemeters.

1. Is it possible to buy the telemeter separately? If so, where do you get them?
  2. Is that a good way to go?
  3. Are the telemeters proprietary? (If I buy a USAT reader, do I have to have a USAT telemeter?) 

Thanks for any help.

You can buy the telemeter separately but very little money is saved, if any.

Telemeter only is fine but if you are already paying wireless fees and the cost of the unit, why stop there? You would be cutting yourself short from additional sales by not taking cards.

The telemeters are not proprietary in the sense that they CAN be used with other processing companies, but i don't believe that card readers and telemeters are interchangeable.  This isn't 100% true but definitely not 100% false.

Do not buy from Ebay unless you know what you are doing. I just saw a "USAT G9 card reader", one of the pictures showed the back of the card reader and it is clearly a USAT Edge that is obsolete. Also, if you buy a used modem/telemeter, it is up to you, not the seller to get connected to the system network. Here is the USAT line up:

Edge-all in one swipe reader and modem. Most were AT&T 2G and most will have no network after 2018. 

G8-separate modem & swipe reader, more robust that Edge connection wise, most are Verizon CDMA and work in most areas, but are somewhat slow if you use some technology features.

G9-current production, much faster than G8, most are Verizon 3G and there is an optional HSPA version that grabs an AT&T or T-Mobile signal, whichever is stronger if you can't raise a Verizon signal. As with the G8, the modem/telemeter is a separate box from the swipe reader. 

G10-this is a G9 on steroids. Verizon 4G with dedicated dual antennas, is super fast with everything, if you get it to connect. 

Remember, the cheapest is not always the least expensive. 

1 hour ago, gelaro said:

I am thinking of adding a couple of cc readers on some accounts to see how they do. I see the readers on Ebay without telemeters.

1. Is it possible to buy the telemeter separately? If so, where do you get them?
  2. Is that a good way to go?
  3. Are the telemeters proprietary? (If I buy a USAT reader, do I have to have a USAT telemeter?) 

Thanks for any help.

I decided to take the plunge into adding cc readers to my high volume accounts in the next few months. I've been reading through the forum since Im not familiar with any of it. Decided to go with USA Technology and the G-10 units. Newest and fastest units that should hold up for awhile. Going direct through them cuts out any middleman markup. Going to cost $289 for each unit. If I were able to order before the end of the year, I could get free shipping. 

Thanks for the responses. USAT tells me I can lease 6 or rent 10. I don't want to buy them outright because of the initial cost and I am not sure they will increase enough to make it worthwhile, so I want to rent them. But I can't use 10 because my business is too small to justify it. That's why I was looking at some other options to get two or three.

2 hours ago, gelaro said:

Thanks for the responses. USAT tells me I can lease 6 or rent 10. I don't want to buy them outright because of the initial cost and I am not sure they will increase enough to make it worthwhile, so I want to rent them. But I can't use 10 because my business is too small to justify it. That's why I was looking at some other options to get two or three.

If you're not willing to spend money on card readers even though you want them then your accounts must not be doing very well.  This is a business where you have to spend money to make money.  You will have to need vend prices over 1.00 to make the fees viable and the younger the demographic the better you'll do.  Otherwise you might just do Payrange, but that takes a bit of work to introduce and requires non-transient customers in a younger demographic.

4 hours ago, AZVendor said:

If you're not willing to spend money on card readers even though you want them then your accounts must not be doing very well.  This is a business where you have to spend money to make money.  You will have to need vend prices over 1.00 to make the fees viable and the younger the demographic the better you'll do.  Otherwise you might just do Payrange, but that takes a bit of work to introduce and requires non-transient customers in a younger demographic.

I am willing to spend money but it has to make business sense to do it. My accounts are smallish to most though profitable for me. I have two or three locations that I think would do well with a CC reader. I have one location undergoing a remodel. When that reopens, it will take probably four or five card readers. I thought about Payrange, but the education end of it I am not sure about it. They are definitely cheaper to get into.

Archived