Snack machine glass broken

Magiccity726

Get the measurements and have a local glass company whip up a replacement piece of tempered glass.

It must be tempered, cannot be regular glass. Since you can't cut tempered glass, you must get a local company to make it for you to the exact size needed.

As for replacing it with plastic, there are two options. One is Acrylic, which is plexiglass, and the other is Polycarbonate, which is Lexan or Makrolon.

Acrylic is the weaker one, and is harder to cut, but more scratch resistant. Lexan is a lot tougher, but more prone to scratching and is more expensive. Lexan is also the stuff used for soda fronts.

8 minutes ago, orsd said:

Get the measurements and have a local glass company whip up a replacement piece of tempered glass.

It must be tempered, cannot be regular glass. Since you can't cut tempered glass, you must get a local company to make it for you to the exact size needed.

As for replacing it with plastic, there are two options. One is Acrylic, which is plexiglass, and the other is Polycarbonate, which is Lexan or Makrolon.

Acrylic is the weaker one, and is harder to cut, but more scratch resistant. Lexan is a lot tougher, but more prone to scratching and is more expensive. Lexan is also the stuff used for soda fronts.

Thanks. What would you recommend? The location is in a bad area but it’s my best location so I’m not taking the machines out. They break the glass every year. Would I be better off with plexiglass? Or would plexiglass be easier to pry out? Just trying to find a long term solution

Do you have issues with grafitti?

If so I'd put a steel screen over the front and replace with tempered glass, because it is easier to keep clean.

Otherwise, Lexan. But try to oversize it and put the mounting screws through the Lexan. (drill holes first)

2 minutes ago, orsd said:

Do you have issues with grafitti?

If so I'd put a steel screen over the front and replace with tempered glass, because it is easier to keep clean.

Otherwise, Lexan. But try to oversize it and put the mounting screws through the Lexan. (drill holes first)

No graffiti. They break it for a bag of chips I guess

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the glass from the vending center.com. However, they sent me the wrong glass. The glass I need has to be curved. The glass they sent is not curved. How do you install the curved glass? I was looking at the machine today and could not figure it out. Thank you 

12 hours ago, Chard said:

I believe you have the millennium model of the National 168.  Does it have a set of hard buttons on the outside door that pushes another keypad behind it when the door is closed?

The machine that has the glass broken does not but I do have that model as well. Is the glass the same size? Thinking about taking the glass off the millennium model and putting on the other model because I need to repair the machine fast. Also, it’s model 158. Serial number is 15823204

Millenia glass on a 4-wide. Rare as hen's teeth. You did not mention this at the outset. 

If it were me, I would strip the door and put a conventional trim package on it. Not something to do on location, and requires a lot of parts and know-how. 

1 hour ago, lacanteen said:

Millenia glass on a 4-wide. Rare as hen's teeth. You did not mention this at the outset. 

If it were me, I would strip the door and put a conventional trim package on it. Not something to do on location, and requires a lot of parts and know-how. 

I definitely would not know how to do that. Would it be possible to get the Lexan or plexiglass curved like the millennia glass? Or can I get a local glass company to make the millennia glass? 

Lexan will bend but plexi will not. The tricky part is sizing it right.

I just looked up the part number at Crane. The curved glass is part # 1582079 and is priced just under $100, + shipping. 

Archived