Converting From Bottles To Cans In Accounts

vendman0729

My old route here in the mid east WAS not that big but one thing I really liked about it is the fact that I never sold soda bottles. I love selling cans as it has a lot of advantages. However, I just bought out some one and he was selling around 90 cases of soda a month. The problem is, all of these locations I acquired have bottles only which is 1 thing I hate about it. 

Do people have success in converting from 20 oz soda bottles to 12 oz cans? I feel like the most I might be able to do is mix it up a bit so there's both soda bottles and soda cans and even then in just a couple of accounts. However, trying to go completely from bottles to cans might almost be impossible. I sell 20 oz bottles for $1.25 now which is what his price was at. Of course, if I could charge $1.50 that would be nice, but even then I would still rather sell cans for .75. I feel like most vendors would rather sell cans. Of course, I always sell bottles like water and Gatorade but I am talking about just sodas only. I seriously can not stand the expiration dates on bottles and especially diet drinks. It just drives me nuts. 

I also understand I have to buy a certain amount of cases from Coke and Pepsi. Converting some drinks to cans would decrease the number of cases I would buy so that part I understand. I just hate their outrageous prices of Coke selling $19/case and Pepsi selling $21/case. To me, this is nothing but a joke when I can get a case of cans for around $6. Even if I buy from Sams, the most I might pay per can is .33 which is way better than paying .80/20 oz bottle.

The vast majority of soda machines out there will vend cans just fine with the proper setup.  Machines such as Royals usually don't require shims, but Vendos and Dixies usually do.  Seeing as how I have sold cans out of a variety of soda machines, I don't see what problem you would have unless you have the wrong setups.

Having said that, if your issue is regarding income, I will tell you first hand that the majority of time, a machine selling bottles generates more revenue than a machine selling cans.  Does that mean it brings in more profit? Not always.  In fact, I have converted several machines from bottles to cans but it has more to do with date issues.  There are other accounts that have low-income workers, and they will buy cans for 75 cents all day but really prefer not to buy 20 oz for $1.50.  I have locations that complain when the price went from $1.25 to $1.35, but will gladly pay $1.70 at the convenience store.  I think you will do fine for most locations, but some people will complain if they prefer bottles due to having a cap or they just prefer bottles over cans for other reasons.  I wouldn't worry about it much.  To be honest, staying 100% cans is a very very good thing to do if possible.  100% bottles is good too but I think that's very difficult for any company to do (as opposed to 100% cans which is not that difficult in my opinion).

I say, if you aren't worried about losing the accounts, give them a notice and switch to cans because you'll probably do much better with them and be more efficient that way.

The issue for me is not the machines but the accounts. I know how to change between cans and bottles and I have all bottle machines.  While income is something to keep in mind, I am also looking at it from a convenience point of view. Such as for example cans have better expiration dates, cans are lighter, can fit more cans in a machine e.t.c. Income wise though, cans are more profitable and just another millionth reason why I would rather sell cans. 

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that you think it's easier to sell cans only as opposed to selling bottles only. Since I just acquired the business, I am not going to make any changes yet even though I would be ready tomorrow to do it haha.  Maybe around summer time, I will convert all of my smaller accounts from soda bottles to can soda only. My larger accounts, I will install more glassfront machines with the top 2 rows for soda cans and the 3rd row with bottles just so I don't make anyone mad. This way they can't say I don't sell bottles. I think I just realized this is not a bad plan. I feel like bigger accounts for some reason prefer bottles which is annoying and where most of my fighting will occur.  

There are some things you should realize about bottle vending besides the facts that bottles have a shorter shelf life, are harder to transport and don't provide the same machine capacity.

While bottles can have a lower profit margin than cans, percentage-wise, they have a higher penny profit per unit sold.  That is more cents in the bank for every unit sold than you will get with cans due to the higher bottle pricing.

Many businesses want bottles so that the employees can have resealable drinks at their desks or workstations.  Many businesses won't allow can drinks into the office or near computers.