candy or not candy?

arkhusker

So, Arkansas has excluded candy and soft drinks from the lower grocery tax. The problem is their stupid definition of candy. 

"Candy is defined as a preparation of sugar, honey, or other natural or artificial sweeteners in combination with chocolate, fruits, nuts, or other ingredients or flavorings in the form of bars, drops, or pieces. Candy does not include preparation containing flour and must not require refrigeration."

I've discovered that this has also happened in other states. Anyone else had to deal with this? f so, do you know where I can get my hands on a list?

Thanks! 

Seems pretty clear to me that they are referring to candy as candy bars, whereas things such as cupcakes, pies, cookies, and various other things that have flour in them are excluded.  I know it's a big deal to pay higher tax on items but it sounds like you'll have to pay a higher tax on all candy bars except maybe granola bars or crackers.  Sounds like a massive regulatory nightmare to have what sounds like TWO different sales tax rates.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, arkhusker said:

Actually, it isn't a clear as one would think. Twix and Kit Kat have flour and so are not included per the states examples in their released documents.

Yeah.  I doubt they intended on that to happen.  It's pretty crappy to deal with.

You are correct, Sgolembiewski. However, with a 2 tiered sales tax system, an operator must calculate one tax rate on certain products, and another on the other products that are in the same machine. It's a tedious operation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BTVFC said:

You are correct, Sgolembiewski. However, with a 2 tiered sales tax system, an operator must calculate one tax rate on certain products, and another on the other products that are in the same machine. It's a tedious operation.

I definitely play the dumb card on that one, 7.8% sales tax across the board for me. I also only pay all my taxes through just one city... if they ever come after me for that I'll just play dumb and say "well I thought I was good since I was paying taxes". .... How many small-time vendors even pay taxes?... Perhaps that number is larger than I would guess since CC readers make it hard to not leave a papertrail! 

On 1/12/2018 at 6:41 AM, flintflash said:

That's what happens when the government tries to legislate issues like "Health" through taxation.  They're all a bunch of idiots.  You can't make people healthier by slapping a tax on candy bars or anything else for that matter.  Ok...I'll step off my soap box now. :) 

Google search Seattle Costco Soda Tax. You will love what Costco is doing - they are telling people that their soda price is xx.xx and the rest of the price is due to soda tax (it's like $9/case!). They are also telling people where they can get their soda cases without paying the taxes (other Costco's outside city limits)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

Google search Seattle Costco Soda Tax. You will love what Costco is doing - they are telling people that their soda price is xx.xx and the rest of the price is due to soda tax (it's like $9/case!). They are also telling people where they can get their soda cases without paying the taxes (other Costco's outside city limits)

From what I saw, that is for seattle and that's a whole different animal.  There's nothing wrong with costco charging that because that's the tax that the consumer must pay.  All you usually need is a sales tax exemption.. but then you have to pay the sales tax at a higher rate (whatever you sell it for).  That seattle deal is insane.  Taxing people and hurting entire industries for "their benefit" is bullshit.  It's just a ploy to get more taxes from people.  It works to reduce consumption, but people need to put their foot down and not allow their municipalities to punish people like that.  Vendors suffer, c-stores suffer, consumers suffer, etc... but the municipality gets their tax money to spend on new statues!