Sams Club discontinued Mike and Ike?

heritagevending

This seems to be happening with a few items now... 

-The 5lb tab gum bags were about $5 a bag at my local Sams...

-Someone talked about gumballs being $10 a case where they are...

This doesn't bode well for us....

The are all gone around me as well.  I talked to the assistant manager at my local club and he is going to get in touch with the buyer for me.  He has not failed me yet so keep you fingers crossed.   I ran into this also on some other types of chocolate that I use for my honor boxes and it ended up being a repackaging issue so it was a few weeks before the item returned.  

On 1/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, heritagevending said:

Looking online for special order but it looks like they have been discontinued their too.  Anyone else run into this?

We're going to start buying direct.  We currently have one Costco that sells them,  but probably won't for long.  If i remember right,  you only need 28 cases for free shipping.  You'll need to call them for a broker i think. 

Quill also carries them but they are $14.49 if you buy 3 bags (includes shipping) which is too expensive as along term solution. Occasionally Quill will have good coupon deals but it would have to be pretty awesome to offset their inflated prices. As Rodney alluded to earlier calling the manufacturer Just Born maybe the best way to go especially if you move alot of Mike & Ikes/Hot Tamales. 28 cases is 168 4.5lb bags so that is alot of product. Mike & Ikes has an expiration date about 18 month out from manufacture so if you store it in a cool dry place in factory sealed bags it should be fine even past that.

9 hours ago, rodney69 said:

I suppose if you have a close competitor that you're on good terms with,  you could go in together on it? 

I agree. I had a competitor approach me a few years ago about doing that. I chose not to because I had a deal worked out with a local wholesaler but I would have if that hadn't been the case. Also I have moved away from Mike & Ike's/Hot Tamales over the years because they are just not a stable candy when it's warm or higher humidity. I still use them when requested or in locations where the temperature conditions are pretty constant year round but now I rely on pressed candies much more for variety.

Does anyone know if costco will stock something if you request it? or special order it? Also can someone clue me in to how to order straight from the supplier? I use a lot of mike and ikes, they're my best seller hands down. 

Give me a call in about a couple hours. I can help you with that.  If you have a business center Costco might,  but other than that you have to order considerable amounts to get them to carry it.  I have one by me that does. Also,  you're close enough to me,  shipping shouldn't be bad. 

UGH! I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this! I asked them, they said they cancelled them. Hot Tamales too... They said once stock is sold out of Hot Tamales, they will no longer be sold either. BAD timing because M&I's and HT's are my best sellers...

Costco does carry the HT's for $6.99 a bag $3 shipping. So at least for now there's a cheap alternative to that. But M&I's I just spent $39 on 3 4.5lb bags. I'm gonna be lucky to break even at that price.

• 1 month later...

Sams Club in my area has done away with most bulk candy. M&Ms are about all you can get in most of my clubs I drive by. I have gotten several deals on gumballs $9.84 a Box and 5400 count chiclets at about $9 a box in December and January in various clubs. Gumballs are available in some clubs through the online app on my iPhone. I usually get Sour and Hot Cinnamon Gum that way also. I have scored some Skittles in a few and the last of the Mike and Ike in one other last week  

Sams has really pissed me off with these moves and I have gotten a BJ’s membership, they have steady supplies of Mike and Ike and Skittles. Now in order to supply my route I have to go to BJ’s every time I drive by (only in my southernmost area) and export them to my father and Brother in law who run routes for me up my northern areas. I’m sure however my hundreds if not thousands of their now missing sales will fall on deaf ears if I complain, however. 

I was just on the Sam's Club website and they are showing Mike and Ike's and Hot Tamales (4.5 pound) available online. It also says "In Store Out Of Stock" possibly implying that they may be coming back to the stores? Who knows with these guys.

That’s true. I’ve played around on my app and sometimes I get them to show up (out of stock) but at least they show up. Other times nothing at all depending on home store chosen. 

• 10 months later...

Archived