Vendstar

SNACK MACHINE

This thread answers your question more or less: 

As others stated, not sure why you're looking into vendstars, since you haven't given a reason for your question. If you're just starting out, then all the above advice is solid, don't build a route based on vendstars. 

I recently come across one the other day, 25.00 for a triple.  I normally stay far away from those pieces of garbage.  I bought it, so I could place it inside a dump of a location (very messy auto shop), switched out my nice machine with that crappy triple.  I must say, its the worst machine I ever encountered, but fit perfectly in this location.  I would advise, if you have a messy/dirty location, then YES, you might find good use for it.  I often see those being sold (knuckleheads trying) to sell it on Craigslist for 100.00 or more, and it shocks me to see these ads.  I wouldn't pay more than 25.00 for one.  Do not pay 100.00 for it.  Dont do it.  If they won't sell it for 25.00, just move on, its not worth it.

Very good advice. I could see them being used as a throw away machine. Where if it were stolen, the only thing you'd be upset about would the loss of the candy... That's actually a good idea... Some of those "Dump" locations actually pay out pretty good. You might be on to something!

I disagree. If the place is dirty or dumpy I would put a Rhino or something less quality not a Vendstar. It would at least hold up long enough to know if the location pays good then switch it with a quality Eagle. I see Vendstars as ticking timebombs ready to break down and burn a location

how many do you want? just bought a route with a bunch of 3 headers and vendstars, in process of replacing with beavers, honestly that's not a bad a idea, use a golpher machine in a golpher place, but.... don't be fooled, a golpher place is probably better than a clean place, and will probably make more, so they deserve a decent machine also, id setup the vendstar and let it run until it breaks, by then, ill have the beavers in place.

so who wants some golpher vendstars? :P 

I have bought several routes over the years that had Vendstars on them and many of them are still on route. In my opinion they are a great machine for dumpy locations and break rooms where aesthetics are not important. I have some nasty, beat up Vendstars that are still big money makers for me (they have lasted for years). Sure they have no chute doors and have clear mailing tape holding the canisters together but I am not gonna replace it if the location is happy and I am making money. I rarely have problems with the coin mechs and I really like the removable canisters so I will get as many miles out of these ugly ducklings as I can.  I have plenty of old Northwestern Triple Plays that I put in once it is ultimately dumpster time for the Vendstar.  Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

I’ve done this for years. Put dumpy machines in dumpy locations. Just what they deserve lol. 

Seriously you wouldn’t park your new Cadillac in skid row, why put a brand new Beaver or Eagle in a tough area?

I had a vendstar melt before, but so did everything else in the auto shop when it caught fire.  Lol No skin off my back just took the doors so the locks wouldn't be stolen and keyed. Put a new one in and it makes me close to $60 every 2 months.

In my opinion, vendstar are GREAT starter machines if 1) you know how to make them work right, 2) you can get them like new for cheap enuf, and 3) use them to test new locations with multiple candies to see what will sell best. I have another loc that has 2 sitting next to each other but in all honesty I could probably switch one with a double. But why would I place eagles there when I'm trying to get all my eagles converted to 50cent toy machines? 

Vendstar have their place, but they are definitely not for every vendor or location.

Archived