Buying Used Machines advice

Hi Everyone, i just found this forum and i am in love!!!

i am new here and i really need your help. Am new to vending machines and the business..Am gonna try to make long story short.

I came across a ad on craigslist for 4 Dixie Narco Which seller listed model 501 BUT THE STICKER ON ONE OF THEM SAYS DN 504P HVV-6 (see attached photos). The Ad was for each machine at $350. To me seems like a very low price since these machines usually i see them going for $800 and up. I went to see the machines and this is where it gets interesting / weird. This person seems to work for a Vending company since he came in wearing uniform and in company van.The location was a empty house that's being sold.He says he has a route of about of 60 machines and has about 20 of them without location.According to him he is trying to sell these machines because he can't have them stored at the house any more.

The Machines:

4 Machines . 2 of them don't have bill collector and coin mechanism but he has one he can throw in, 2 of them do.They all look in decent condition.He powered one up and open one of them using his TRITEQ Remote which i will need one to program and open all of them if i decide to buy.One of them he tells me needs a radiator fan which he might have somewhere.one of them the power cord was cut off but he says he has one he can use on it.Seems like 2 out of the 4 are ready to go as we speak,2 will need some work.

i would like to know your thoughts . this person agreed to sell all 4 to me for $1,100. to me its kinda low price for machines that i usually see going for $800 and up each.So what should i look for ? how can i make sure these machines are good and i wont get ripped off.To me there are a few red flags. like why if he is in the business and has machines why is he selling these for so cheap.can i go wrong buying these machines ? what i need to check to make sure everything is good and worth the money?

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

Run, do not walk away from this. THE P-MODEL DIXIE NARCO IS GARBAGE!

Also, the HVV Pepsi platform is a unique board and a pain in satan's anus to program. Add to that, the Triteq lock will add additional headaches and expenses. 

I operate a fleet of 1500 drink machines, 20 of which are P-Models inherited from an acquisition. They are a constant headache. Only the DN Flex Pack is a worse machine to own. 

As far as I know, the Triteq lock is a Pepsi thing AND a pain to deal with.  We have had the key fobs break (the solder can easily break when changing a battery), the battery can die, and we have even had machines that had a power supply problem.  ALL of these situations prevent you from opening up the machine.  In order to do so, you have to pop out one of the buttons (usually the 2nd button on the right) and hand crank the door open with a special tool (which Pepsi only possesses two of in the entire State of Michigan).  WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE for someone starting in vending.

ALSO...those look to be Pepsi Assets.  This guy is probably selling these illegally, which would explain why they are so cheap.  AVOID this deal like the plague!  Too many red flags!  

Thank You Guys for the great feedback and advice. I Knew something was fishy because of the low price. He even offered to deliver today after i told him the deal was off.

Is there a guide or any what to look for when buying machines. any recommendations on any machines for someone starting up something that can be found at a decent price.I already have a small snack machine at a location, the owner used to have a soda machine but it stopped working and he never got it looked at, now he is willing to let me put in another machine in to replace that one so i need a soda machine asap.

Any advantage/Disadvantage of vending cans or bottles or maybe doing both if the machine allows it. i would like to offer a good variation of product from soda to water ,gatorade and even redbull if possible.

Check Craigslist frequently and always assume it's a bad deal. People get ripped off because they assume everyone is honest. If it's too good to be true....

Luckily you found this board and were smart enough to come asking before handing over cash!

Global Vending Group sells used equipment of various grades.  Bought a few from them, no issues at all. They claim to have the best prices on used, and will beat anyone's price on new. Their freight charges are rather good, as well.

If you are buying from a dealer/refurbisher, expect to pay good money but also get good equipment.  I like the Dixie Narco 501 or 276 and the Royal 650/660 or 550.  Good machines, lots of them out there, lots of parts available and good tech support as well.  The DN's have a lot of variations in control boards over the years, I would lean towards MDB capable vintages whenever possible, but don't pass up an older unit at a good price just because it has older validators and coin mechs.   I keep an eye on the local CL and have picked up several good deals over time, you just have to have the money and the storage space when the right one comes along...

I have 2 720Ps, and a 504P. They work just like a 501E right up until they freak out. I had a 720P that worked perfectly until the cr2032 battery died. Then the board freaked out and it started dropping 8 cans on each vend. Tried all kinds of resets and adjustments, then replaced it. Run, they're junk.

with all this said... what about the coke and Snapple machines which were part of coke back in the day, those too were assets, and they are all over the streets now, most of them may be assets, but some of them are abandoned, and ive seen my share of abandoned machines, they all have asset stickers and tags, if they do belong to pepsi and are not abandoned, calling pepsi will confirm that, but the chances of pepsi coming to pick them up are slim to none, for every machine lost, they pick up 2 new ones, they consider it a write off. the same thing happened to coke, they are out there, I'm sure they've passed them by, but for them to pick up an old unit when they can have 2 new ones, who cares. 

this particular model, ive never owned, but ive heard things, the key is definitely a pain in the golpher!

they are very durable machines and made to handle the weather, we have them on every corner in the city, and I'm sure they can take some abuse as well, don't lose that key!

Archived