The Right Candy, at the Right Location (demographics)

GumballDragon

I'm curious if anyone has useful information as to which types of candy sells better based on the neighborhoods we are in:

For example, I noticed in white adult locations, GB don't move, but maybe MM, PMM, or Skittles will move

I noticed in Chinese only places, GB do not move at all (no matter how many kids are there)

What are some of the best sellers in black communities?

What are some of the best sellers in Chinese communities?

What are the best sellers in white communities?

What are the best sellers in Spanish communities?

What are the best sellers in wealthy areas?

What are the best sellers in poor neighborhoods?

All of this information is critical, and hope someone can provide info based on their experience.  I'm still collecting data, pulling candy out, adding candy, but more data and more info will help.

Thanks!

I would also love to find out. I know Gumballs on average do not do great in a Autoshop. Except for one case only where a employee put like a dollar a day in the machine but that was only 1 case and the guy quit anyway.

It is a hit and miss thing. It only takes one addict to make a great seller. Across all locations skittles are probably the most universal candy. M&M and PM&M do good in factories. Chewy Sprees are a good mover in a lot of locations too. The rare place M&I and Hot Tamales do well you always have to be wary of temperature  swings and humidity.

Here is a my advise about gum. It is my choice for a new location because it is cheap and an indication of sales. Yes sales can sometimes be improved upon by changing to something else. But the reason you see so much gum is that really large operators don't want to fool with a lot of product, they focus on how many locations can be collected in a day. They only service when there is a lot of money in a machine. Routes are scheduled to maximize cash picked up. They put locations on a monthly, bi monthly, six month, or even lomger pick up schedule, so you need a long lasting product.

I realize that when you are small you really don't have the same concerns a larger operator does. You really work hard maximizing and fine tuning each location. Sure, even really big operators want great return, but it becomes a real numbers game because you are very much focused on labor, mileage, spoilage etc. 

I will say this. I have a Vendesign in a Soul Food restaurant... Mostly black dermographic... I have one in a break room at a manufacturing plant not too far down the road... Mostly black dermographic... In BOTH of those machines... Mike and Ike, and Hot Tamales KILL. I can't keep the canisters full... Chickle tabs, are so/so... 

Move a few miles north, to an upscale restaurant... White dermographic... They don't touch the M&I, or HT... They want the other stuff... Sometimes Bonz, sometimes Cotton Candy hard candy... Sometimes Seedlings gumballs... I've found the black community is easier to stock for, than the white communities... It's almost like, each location in a white neighborhood has it's own personality, and it's takes time and patience to figure out what they want.

Just my $0.02

Thats interesting info about Mike/Ike.  I noticed empty canisters for Mike/Ike, and thought it was 'hot'.....stocked inside my auto shops, and they ended up sitting.   Now, I know why it was 'hot' in the 2 locations I visited.  It was the demographics.  That's very good information.  Thanks!  Keep it coming!  

Generally we like to put a chocolate (P'Nut M&Ms dominate), a fruit (skittle or mike & ike) & gum in a 3 head- u entice 3 different cravings/preferences.  I find that in black & latin areas fruit flavored items are favored. I can't pinpoint white, Asian areas but women generally prefer chocolate.  If something absolutely dominates we'll take out the weakest seller & replace with a like item to what dominates.

Still suggest that long term u gravitate toward gum & toys & get out of candy completely where possible.  P'Nut M&Ms were $5.99 when i started now they're $12ish.  Yes we started giving less per vend but they crack in the sun, spoil if the a/c is off & occasionally draw bugs. Skittles, Mike & Ike too often stick if it gets too hot or too cold.  Have no where near gotten out of candy but am continually easing that way.  850 is still 3 cents per vend & toys never spoil.

1 hour ago, VendUSA said:

Generally we like to put a chocolate (P'Nut M&Ms dominate), a fruit (skittle or mike & ike) & gum in a 3 head- u entice 3 different cravings/preferences.  I find that in black & latin areas fruit flavored items are favored. I can't pinpoint white, Asian areas but women generally prefer chocolate.  If something absolutely dominates we'll take out the weakest seller & replace with a like item to what dominates.

Still suggest that long term u gravitate toward gum & toys & get out of candy completely where possible.  P'Nut M&Ms were $5.99 when i started now they're $12ish.  Yes we started giving less per vend but they crack in the sun, spoil if the a/c is off & occasionally draw bugs. Skittles, Mike & Ike too often stick if it gets too hot or too cold.  Have no where near gotten out of candy but am continually easing that way.  850 is still 3 cents per vend & toys never spoil.

VERY insightful answer! I've noticed the fruity ones favor I the black/latin communities as well... I try to stay with just as you said, a fruity, a chocolate, and chickles or gumballs in a 3 head... SOMETIMES, Hot Tamales, chickles or gumballs, and a fruity in a 3 head... Chocolate doesn't always move for me.

But what you said in your post, good solid advice.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, TheSnackShackVendingLLC said:

VERY insightful answer! I've noticed the fruity ones favor I the black/latin communities as well... I try to stay with just as you said, a fruity, a chocolate, and chickles or gumballs in a 3 head... SOMETIMES, Hot Tamales, chickles or gumballs, and a fruity in a 3 head... Chocolate doesn't always move for me.

But what you said in your post, good solid advice.

What he said. Gum and toys are king. Candy is an exception to me. A lot more work and dealing with fickle customers, spoilage and poor sales is a real headache. 

Archived