allstarsmediainc

Vending laws in south Florida

Hello guys once again. 

I am getting ready to buy a few machines and route. Just wanted to ask if anyone had an idea of what are the laws in south Florida when it comes to vending machines or owning a few manchine that are in location. Do I really need to register a company even if I only own 1-4 machines ? Can I own or operate these machines without anything until I get to a certain point or ammount of manchines ? 

I don't know about florida's income and/or sales tax laws, but i do know that you legally have to register a company to obtain an FEIN so that you can file your taxes properly.  It doesn't matter if you have 1 machine or 10 million.  That's just basic federal law... however, the chances that they pursue you are slim.  If you do get caught, though, you'll wish you did the right thing from the beginning.

Set up and register your company the proper way. SURE..you could do this "under the table" and probably get away with it...for a while, but the taxes (whether federal business or income tax and/or state sales tax) and/or liabilty could show up one day and BITE you in the a$$.  If you are planning on getting into vending, do it right.  Register your company, like AngryChris said, get your FEIN and purchase some business liabilty insurance.

• Like 1

You might be able to operate as a sole proprietor under your own ssn and file taxes as self employed, but I am not an accountant or tax attorney, so don’t take my word for it.  Spend the money to sit down with a CPA or business lawyer for an hour and get solid advice.  There are pros and cons both ways.  Plus, even though lawsuits are rare in vending they do happen, and the proper business setup can protect your personal assets. 

I operate in south Florida. Certain cities will want you to pay a business tax. Typically $100, and like $50 each year to renew. Miami Gardens, sunny isles, south Miami does this to name a few. I operated under the table when I had my first few machines but it’s best that you do things the right way. 

You typically pay yearly business tax for the county and for the city where your office/place of business is located.  The city may want to approve your place of business for zoning compliance; most will allow vending from a home based business as long as you do not receive commercial deliveries at your house.  Some cities may try to get more $$ by requiring registration stickers for a machine, but I haven't yet run into that in central Florida.  Sales Tax is a must, and you are also supposed to pay ad valorem taxes (property tax) on the value of your machines.   If you have a cold food, milk, or ice cream machine, it is required to be registered and inspected yearly thru the state health inspectors (potentially hazardous food products).   The government will make more money from your business than you will until you get to a good size...

12 minutes ago, Corvus Corax said:

You can set up a Delaware LLC to operate in Florida for about $50.

I know there are tax advantages to this but what are the cons? Have you done this?

lol, legally you have to pay the city, county n state....city and county by machine,,,state for the surtax of each item...:angry::angry:

Delaware is a little cheaper than MD. The main reason is the advantage you get if your business is sued. Delaware is very business friendly, that's why so many company's set up their corporations and LLCs out of there.