Am going to do some calls tomorrow to try and grow... any thoughts?

Unfortunately I live 35 mins away from Phoenix, but my route is in PHX nonetheless. I have a main street where I have about 5 accounts on, so tomorrow I am going to try and do some calling around - hopefully getting an account or maybe two. I don't have targets picked out yet...

I know I should expect a bunch of posts telling me I'm unprepared based on the above post... but does anyone have any good advice when cold-calling? Regarding how to select a good location/how to talk on the phone?

ALSO: I know for a 100000000% guaranteed fact I would have better success having a pretty 20-year-old or a senior doing the sales for me, but I cannot afford that at this time! For now I am stuck with me, a 26 year old male, something nobody wants to talk with unless they are a single female - in which case my success depends on more than my business abilities - which is illegal everywhere except for counties in Nevada.   

You have it all wrong. There are businesses out there that are just hoping someone- anyone would come in and offer their Vending service.  They may not have anyone or they could have a terrible company that really don’t care if they get kicked out. 

Just forget all about that young girl stuff and introduce YOU - the owner of the business. You know the guy, he’s the one that has the right answers and can talk about Vending with enthusiasm. He’s the one I would rather see show up. Not some hired pretty face that has no idea what you have to offer. 

Trust me on this. I’m and old guy that’s over weight and ugly. I still get plenty of accounts. Why? Because sometimes I’m desperate or really really wanting the account and won’t go away. 

Just don’t give up! Get out and find out what works for you. 

I was just talking to someone earlier who was thinking among the same lines. He said that 95% of the places around him had machines already. I told him that 95% might have machines, but that doesn't mean 95% are happy or getting the service they deserve. Take your knowledge and enthusiasm of your business in with you and steal a few under-serviced accounts.

9/10 of businesses the owner tells me he's buys or they do not let me talk to anyone. I'm not a pushy salesman. 

I do believe calling works too regardless of sone people's belief. Hell, that's all lead generators do and they get a lot of leads and fast. Granted some may be junk but whatever, yoh decide that when you get there!

Print yourself up some business cards and go knock on a ton of doors.  If at the very least, they'll take your card, even if they say they are happy with their service or whatever.  However, the next time the machine acts up or the driver doesn't service them, you may get a call from one of them.  While you're looking to add new accounts, keep in mind that you are also getting your name out there.  It may not be the sale you get right now, but may turn into a future phone call down the road.  Make a list of the accounts that show some interest or just talk to you for a minute.  Then go back in 3-6 months and "check in" with them to see how they are still doing.  I like your "Go Get 'Em" attitude and think you'll build a nice vending operation.  Keep it up! :)

Archived