Turn Off the Lights!

wpeej

I have a GIII RVCC-550 in a well lit area, and I’d like to turn off the lights to conserve energy. It has the option in the menu (Lit) to put them on a timer, but it must not have the relay installed because they won’t turn off. Short of snipping the wires powering the ballast, can I unplug them from somewhere? I can’t determine where the ballast gets power (after the EM filter?). Thanks!

What do you care about light power usage?  Unless this is a Coke door that uses 64W bulbs there isn't much power consumption. If you want to use the timer circuit then you need a timer relay kit from Royal.  Or just remove the bulbs.  

I purchased the relay kits from Royal and installed them in 3 of my GIII machines.  They only cost 24.69 for the kit and it wasn't that hard to install.  I like being able to turn off the lights at night when no one is in the building.

Part number: 161111srv

22 hours ago, darkinthepark said:

I purchased the relay kits from Royal and installed them in 3 of my GIII machines.  They only cost 24.69 for the kit and it wasn't that hard to install.  I like being able to turn off the lights at night when no one is in the building.

Part number: 161111srv

Thanks for the tip! I might do that...I removed the bulbs but the ballast is still powered and generating heat...I assume the relay cuts power to the ballast? When you get a chance, would you mind posting a pic of the relay and where it connects to the main board? Thanks!

usually the Relay is in the lower left corner along with the compressor and fan Relay.  Also the board is confusing as it works backwards of logic.  Try reversing your times and make sure you have the feature showing a 1 which turns it on.  However your thinking on disconnecting ballast is spot on as it will continue to broadcast a rf signal.  If all else fails go to the ballast and either terminate the power or in unplug the Jones plug.

If the others are talking about "FRED", it doesn't always work in all machines without an auxiliary Relay.

10 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Yes the relay will turn the ballast off but again, what is your concern about a powered ballast?

Because it’s hot, and is right up against the inner door which transfers heat to the cabinet. I pay the power bill, so whatever I can do to minimize cost is a win for me.

5 hours ago, wpeej said:

Because it’s hot, and is right up against the inner door which transfers heat to the cabinet. I pay the power bill, so whatever I can do to minimize cost is a win for me.

You are going to loose more in sales than you save in electricity. If you are that concerned get LED's.

3 minutes ago, orsd said:

You are going to loose more in sales than you save in electricity. If you are that concerned get LED's.

34 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Hmmm. So that $2 per month matters that much?

AZVendor...”I want my $2” -Better Off Dead

orsd...it’s in my man-cave...and sometimes I like it dark.

If you were to calculate the power factor of what the ballast uses compared to what the compressor uses you won't complain about the ballast being on.  Just unplug the ballast and be done with it.  It's in your house for god's sake, just plug it in when you want the light on or hide a switch to the 110v input so you can "wow" your friends when you want.

Here's some pictures of where I mounted the relay in my GIII machines.  I also put one in a Merlin iv, but that gets mounted differently and requires a different relay kit.  They don't give you much wire with the G3 relay kit, so the most ideal place was next to the bill acceptor.  

lightrelay1.jpg

To connect to the board, you push the wires into the two circled connectors that go to the control board.

lightrelay2.jpg

Finally, you send one connector into the door to Y into the connector that goes to the ballast.  Then follow the directions for your machine to program the light timer.  

lightrelay3.jpg

Archived