Do G8 readers stop working?

I have a G8 that has been finicky, when I called in USAT said nothing was wrong. Now it's completely not working, connecting but saying there are no cash or credit sales (when I KNOW there are). USAT customer service is undependable when I'm on-site, and this account is kind of far away for me and they NEVER are available when I'm on-site, literally like NEVER!

I'm just trying to figure out what I should do before I go over there? 

Edit: USAT did just tell me to try a hard reset, no USAT rep's ever mentioned one of those before! He said if that doesn't work then I will have to call (woopee, 2 hour wait time probabaly!) for more advanced support

Run an RSSI test to check your signal strength which must be above 9 or 10 as I recall.  Then force a fimware upgrade to see if you're on older firmware.  If these check out then you might still need to have the antenna outside the machine.

My biggest problem is connecting to a cell tower especially if I am in a metal building.  ask around and see how well the employees are connecting.

Also if you have an older radio that was broadcasting on 2g then you need an update.  You need a CDMA broadcasting on 3g.

I found in metal buildings the higher your radio and antenna are the better.  I just recently bought a 25ft extension cable to get my radio near a window.  So far so good.

Good Luck.

Amigo

On 1/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, AZVendor said:

Run an RSSI test to check your signal strength which must be above 9 or 10 as I recall.  Then force a fimware upgrade to see if you're on older firmware.  If these check out then you might still need to have the antenna outside the machine.

I'm going to write this down, but I don't know how to do it. Of course I'll try speaking to a USAT rep, but I don't have 3 hours to be on hold while on-site! Any advice you can provide?

Also, the antenna is outside the machine, it always has been. The reader was working fine for a while before it started acting funny. 

Archived