Newbie in CA with questions

MDK42

Hi,

My name is Mark and I just joined this forum last night. I have been reading some posts and can't seem to find some of the answers I have been looking for. Don't get me wrong, I have found lots of answers to my questions on this site and I thank all of you for that. 

I found a location form/contract on the internet and in that form it says something about having a trial period and if they don't like it that the machine can be removed.

Anyway, here are my questions;

1. Is it normal to give a trial period and should I?

2. I always thought you had to give the location a % of profits but sometimes I read that you can place them for free, How does that work?

3. Does the contract form need to be notarized or approved by a lawyer or can I just type one up and call it a day?

4. I am in my 50's and looking to make this business a retirement income, should I buy one already established or start one by one?

Sorry for all of the questions, I have more but these are the one's that have been on my mind lately.

Thank you in advanced.

Welcome to the group, I just joined as well.

if you do a charity, most of the time you won't have to give the location a percentage.

I haven't been doing this very long, but I don't think there really is contracts, unless you were to install thousands of dollars of equipment in a professional location.

hope this helps, good luck

Thanks for the quick responses.

701vender,

How would you know how long they would have you for? I would like to have an idea of how long I would have my machines for, right?

AMD,

I would like to have soda and snack machines.

In California you might do better getting an installation (not contract) agreement signed once you visit them. You like them and they like what you want to offer.  Give them a tentative installation date then have someone sign the installation agreement.  That gives you permission to bring the equipment onto their premises, it makes everyone feel like there is a authorized order pending (and there is).  If you are replacing another vendor they will want to give them notice to remove their machine. To move that process along give them a realistic date of installation of your equipment (don't say tomorrow, look professional and ask how much time would they like to give the vendor).   That gives them enough information so they can trust you and give the other party a date.  With that said, see the notes below.

If you are installing a drink and snack ask your new client not to give notice until you have your machines cleaned and tested.  Just in case the current vendor gets mad then removes the equipment unexpectly and you get that call:  How Soon Can You Bring Your Machines!!!

Hope this helps.

Poplady

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Mark!

Great advice from Poplady!

We're in CA as well and here is what we have seen...

1. Trial periods (aka pilot programs) can be common. It just depends on the location and they can actually be great for both parties. The location wants to make sure you're going to provide outstanding service, great products and quality machines. It's good for you because it gives you the opportunity to have a machine on-site making some money, switch out products to see what sells well, to see if you actually want to be in that location, and to build a relationship. The service and relationship are what is ultimately going to keep you there long-term. 

2. It really depends on the location. Some businesses do want profit sharing and some don't. You can always turn down a location if profit sharing is too high. The thing is, locations also have to include those funds in their accounting which may or may not be complicated for them, so you can always offer to reduce item costs in lieu of profit sharing, or up prices slightly to balance it out.

3. Contract doesn't need to be notarized. We are happy to help you with contracts or create a draft you can use and revise for all your clients if you're interested.

4. Definitely start your own route. Existing routes can be complicated because you don't know the history of the relationships, and you can grow at your own pace when you start your on route. If you do decide to purchase a route, don't just talk to the person selling it, talk to the locations. Do your homework to make sure that locations aren't looking to upgrade equipment, switch to micro markets, etc because you could be on your way out of some locations quickly.

Let us know if there's anything else we can answer to help you out or give us a call any time, 888-400-2831

Archived