Can Moving a Soda Machine Damage the Refrigeration?

fhamann

In the past few weeks I have had two events that caused me problems.  In both cases the same thing happened.  I had a soda machine on location working fine.  I brought it home because I lost the location.  A few weeks later, I had another location to place the machine.  I tested it at home the day before the move, and verified everything was working fine.  No cooling issues.  I had the machines moved by a professional vending mover.  When the machine was tested at the location, the machine would not cool.  This has happened twice for two different machines.  Can moving a machine cause the failure of the cooling deck?

Regards,

Frank Hamann

Orange, CA

I’ve had the same thing. I suspect the bouncing stirs up particles that get stuck in the dryer. Usually if I replace the dryer it works fine again. I’ve also had instances where a bad weld came loose & caused gas to leak out.

I assume the movers are not laying the machine on it’s side?  Had heard a story of a guy hiring pro movers & they laid the machine on its side while they transported it & killed the compressor when they plugged it back in. He could tell pretty easily by the scrapes on the side of the machine where they slide it in. 

If the deck isn't secure to the machine, you could kink a line.  But like savend said, the moves could have stirred up particles that clogged a line somewhere.  The only two ways to possibly fix a clog is to either try tapping on where it might be clogged (cap tube, dryer, etc..) or have it serviced.

10 minutes ago, fhamann said:

Thanks for the insight.  The movers did not lay it down.  My mover only moves vending machines all day long.  There would have been no out of the ordinary bumps and jars.  The decks were bolted down in the machines.

Is the cabinet getting hot when you plug it on or does it just stay room temp?

I have gotten decks that developed restrictions only after traveling about 20 miles, then worked fine after the return 20 mile trip.  I recently brought a deck about 50 miles and it was restricted after i put it in the machine.  Then, after removing it, it became unrestricted.  Then, after putting it back in again, it was restricted, so i just returned it for another deck.  The point is that a simple movement of the machine can be enough for some debris in the system to clog a line (aka restrict the line).  This is most common in old decks and decks where the compressor is/did go bad.  Even after replacing the compressor (just the actual compressor, not the entire system), there can still be particles in the system.

Check the back of the machine.  You may be able to see the cap tube and the dryer.  If you see ice forming around those and the machine won't cool, it's restricted. Otherwise, you need to check the evaporator, condenser, and fans for signs.

Sometimes movers will lay equipment down.  If you do, then plug in the machines without giving the machine a day to rest, it can cause problems.  Of course, professional movers would not lay equipment down.

If your compressor only clicks on and off without starting it could be coincidental to the move or it was dropped too hard and the rotor in the compressor was damaged.  If the issue is it runs but isn't cold then your machine was low on freon at the last location and you didn't realize it.  When a compressor gets right on the edge of charged/undercharged it is usually capable of keeping a cold cabinet cold but as soon as that cabinet gets warm, as yours did, it's then not sufficiently charged to cool again without being recharged.  So, you may just have low freon.

Keep them clean, filled, working, don't have stale or sold out items, have decent, clean, nice looking equipment (notice I didn't say new, but it must look clean and good.)

Have decent prices, and be responsive.

This will reduce your chance of being booted significantly.

Archived