Interesting proplem

Deadman

I have a full size snack machine at a nursing home. The problem is one resident is getting his arm bruised when he gets his chips or candy. The door is working smooth. Anyone have a fix? I was thinking of buying a 3x3x6 foam block putting Velcro on it so it sticks to the machine and he can use it and then stick it back on the machine. The block would just hold the door open while he gets his product. Any other ideas? 

Thanks Paul

I would not do that. Any foreign object will in time cause problems. Perhaps you just might show that person how to retrieve his product by holding the delivery for open with one hand while picking his product with the other. 

You will probably have issues like this with people who can't bend over well and who have fragile skin that bruises easily.  My skin does that and I'm only 57.  The only way to prevent that is to remove the delivery door which is a non-starter.  There are new machines with ADA delivery bins but the account is surely not worth that investment.

An ADA approved machine must have a delivery system than can be operated easily with one hand.  A nursing home resident is the perfect example of a customer imagined by the ADA, they may only have use of one arm.  If you were inclined to upgrade, perhaps a revision door or something similar, but I agree with cvending that I would not put foreign objects out to use.  I also would not make homebrew modifications to a machine, if someone actually manages to hurt themselves on a machine that is not factory spec, guess who would get sued?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived