Better deal

TKK

For those of u w isuzu nrprs to move machines, chime in. 

2003 79k miles drives great, needs tires locally, 1600lb liftgate was 13500 went down to 9k

2009 npr 139k miles 6hr drive, needs egr stuff which is 2500 to fix. But its a newer style.

Whats weird is the local one i measured the rear opening and its 76.5

The one out of town he says 79"

Obviously the bigger the better especially since we slant the big drink machines on a dutro and they get taller than standing up.

Which is a better deal? Is the guy saying 79" measuring wrong or do they change the boxes?

The box is kind of like an accessory in the sense that the model of the vehicle has nothing to do with what box is bolted onto the chassis.  One NPR could have a 76.5" opening and another could have a 79" opening.  There are a massive variety of things you can bolt onto different vehicles.  Expecting all NPRs to have the same boxes is like expecting all cars (of the same model) to have the exact same tires.  If you ever pay attention to the trucks hauling other truck chassis... you'll notice the cab and just a chassis on the back.. that's because they are being shipped off from the factory and the box will be added later depending on what the customer wants on the back or what the seller is going to put on it to sell.  You need to measure the opening yourself to verify though.

Couple of things.

1. Gas or Diesel

Diesel slower but better fuel economy, especially the 03, which won't have all the crazy environment additives like blue Def and the like.

2. 16 in or 19 in rims. 16 in keeps the liftgate lower, and are much cheaper to source. I just had 6 new ones installed for under a grand. 19s are double that.

3. Type of liftgate. The hide under type have a smaller platform, harder to move machines. Fold down type, tends to have a larger platform, but you have to lower the gate every time to get in the back.

4. The 09 probably has the better air ride driver seat.

Good luck, I love my 2000 NPR 

If the 2009 is a diesel, I recommend avoiding at ALL COSTS.  We have one 2009 diesel in our fleet and have had to put more money into that one truck than all others combined.  The problem in that in 2009, regulations were changed and all diesels have a DPF system for burning off excess carbon build-up.  This system has many sensors and regulators that if they sense ANY fault, they can eventually kill the power of the truck.  I know in Michigan, there are ONLY 2 mechanics that fix this issue.  ONLY 2!  So we have to drive the truck halfway across the state, 15 mph because the power is shutdown.  All because of a faulty sensor.  I recommend GAS trucks only, or diesel built before 2009.  Just my 2 cents.

Any diesel from model year 2007 onward should be avoided, especially ones from 2007-2013, as new emissions regulations came out in 2007, and 2010. As truck manufacturers scrambled to meet the standards, some pretty unreliable motors were put out there. Brand new ones are ok for a while, but will become unreliable after several years. And for the love of all that is holy avoid International's Maxxforce motors like the plague. Damn things sucked so much that there were numerous lawsuits filed against Navistar/International and almost drove them bankrupt.

Personally I would get, depending on how many machines you move, a gas Ford F250 (or similar) and an airtow drop deck trailer. This is because you will only ever get 6-8 machines on at a time due to the low GVWR of the Isusu, but you could get pretty much the same number on a large Air tow. Plus, If you get a utility body F-250 you could use it to run service calls. And, i much prefer the ground level loading of the trailer to a liftgate.

Either that, or if you regularly set up large accounts, a nice large International 4700 from before 2007. (or the Freightliner FL70/ M2, Hino 268, or Peterbilt 330.) These are medium duty trucks good for 26K gross, giving you around 10k in payload.

The lift is the one that folds and then drops down like at a straight line, both vans have the same 1600lb, the tuck ones look dangerous. Id probably extent the platform an extra 2 feet to just pallet jack the machines in, up, then in

Ive been using a dual axel trailer which i modified w a winch, 2 8ft custom ramps, made taller etc. I like it because i can use 3 of my already boughten box trucks to move it. But if u load more than 6 its a pain in the golpher w the ramps. Its a pain in the golpher to move them on there as well. The bad part is i want the isuzu to move machines, AND have as a back up if our daily used vans get disabled or in an accident etc. U cant deliver in a trailer. 

14 hours ago, TKK said:

For those of u w isuzu nrprs to move machines, chime in. 

2003 79k miles drives great, needs tires locally, 1600lb liftgate was 13500 went down to 9k

2009 npr 139k miles 6hr drive, needs egr stuff which is 2500 to fix. But its a newer style.

Whats weird is the local one i measured the rear opening and its 76.5

The one out of town he says 79"

Obviously the bigger the better especially since we slant the big drink machines on a dutro and they get taller than standing up.

Which is a better deal? Is the guy saying 79" measuring wrong or do they change the boxes?

We had about six of the NPR's at a company I used to manage.  Seems like one of them was always due for some sort of scheduled maintenance which was never cheap.  I absolutely hated driving those beasts.  They have to be the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever driven.  Chris is right, the bodies are all "after market" so the height could well vary.  For my money, I'd buy a flatbed gas truck with a flat "drop down" Tommy lift rather than mess with the diesel.

1 hour ago, TKK said:

I had seen that option an f350 or 450 they are pretty cheap around here w them removable sides and lift, but then i cant use it as a back up service truck

It's not like it ever raIns in El Paso anyway :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isuzu NPRs.  The best route trucks ever!  I had 3 of different ages and even one with a stick shift.  I was never unhappy with them.  Great turning radius too, that I always found got me into most parking spaces.  

4 hours ago, Corvus Corax said:

Make sure you change the fuel filter on a regular basis. The good thing is filter changes and regular maintenance like oil changes are really easy on these. The bad part is you have to tilt the cab, so don't leave anything on the seats.

If you are doing proper pretrips daily, (like you should be) you have to tilt the cab anyway.

Archived