Best brand to get started in the vending business

Hello,

I'm doing some research before committing to one brand of machines. I would like to manage my route with some sort of stock management software. All machines will need CC readers. Which brand would you recommend and which one would give the most flexibility? I also see some companies selling KVM brand machines made in China at a much lower cost. Is that something to consider?

Thanks, Daniel

I would recommend doing alot of research and reading here on the forums. The top brands are mentioned constantly. Most, if not all, foreign machines are to be stayed away from. 

Also when first starting out, CC readers and management software will be overkill and more than likely an unnecessary expense.

Do you have an idea of how much money you can spend, how you are going to acquire/service locations, how you are going to store machines and stock, and the amount of time you can ut into the business?

These are, to an extent, going to determine the type of machine you can both afford and make money with.

Whilst I admire the concept of having a single brand of machine, in reality each brand has multiple generations, models, and types that will mean they perform differently, have different fault patterns, and non interchangeable parts.

Each brand does not always cover the spectrum of machine types - 2/3/4/5/6 wide, ambient snack, chilled snack, stack drink, glass front drink, combo, food, frozen.

The machines you will need will be dictated by what the location wants/needs rather than what you want to supply, also available space will affect your machine choice.

Irrespective of branding you need to look at newer machines that offer MDB payment systems and DEX to be able to utilise CC readers and do remote monitoring. Here, standardising on a single coin mech, note reader, and cc reader will save you time and money in the long term as they are all interchangeable within your fleet (Don't forget to have a working spare of each).

As far as the KVM machines - I'm not as anti chinese, but I will say that you get what you pay for. I have one of the earlier KM series machines (They are manufactured by Kimma), and they are rather flimsy in comparison to the AP/National machines I have. Shelves are plastic and cannot self support when fully loaded with bottles, paint finish is quite soft and scuff marks are easy to get, spare parts are expensive, but the machine does do its job when sited and was around half the price here as a US built machine (both are imports to Australia). I don't know what the support is going to be in the US for these machines - The factory is more geared to deal with distributors but I haven't found it difficult for spares to be obtained.

If pushed for a choice of manufacturer/machine in the US, I'd probably look at AMS as having the larger range of machines with (mostly) interchangeable parts within a generation, but there are niches they don't cover (very narrow machines for example)

My2c

21 hours ago, horsemenvending said:

Hello,

I'm doing some research before committing to one brand of machines. I would like to manage my route with some sort of stock management software. All machines will need CC readers. Which brand would you recommend and which one would give the most flexibility? I also see some companies selling KVM brand machines made in China at a much lower cost. Is that something to consider?

Thanks, Daniel

AMS snack and Royal soda are the best brands to go with, both headquartered in Kerneysvile, W.V..  A&M Vending based in Georgia seems to have the best selection of refurbished machines.  I'd steer clear of any offshore brands regardless of the price difference - you get what you pay for and you don't want to pay for a bunch of crap.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:41 AM, QuikVend said:

I would recommend doing alot of research and reading here on the forums. The top brands are mentioned constantly. Most, if not all, foreign machines are to be stayed away from. 

Also when first starting out, CC readers and management software will be overkill and more than likely an unnecessary expense.

I though that having CC readers would be an advantage over the competition since many good locations here where we live have older machines without the option to pay with CC. Also en California most of the people don't carry cash with them at all times. 

On 2/9/2018 at 5:18 AM, falls said:

Do you have an idea of how much money you can spend, how you are going to acquire/service locations, how you are going to store machines and stock, and the amount of time you can ut into the business?

These are, to an extent, going to determine the type of machine you can both afford and make money with.

Whilst I admire the concept of having a single brand of machine, in reality each brand has multiple generations, models, and types that will mean they perform differently, have different fault patterns, and non interchangeable parts.

Each brand does not always cover the spectrum of machine types - 2/3/4/5/6 wide, ambient snack, chilled snack, stack drink, glass front drink, combo, food, frozen.

The machines you will need will be dictated by what the location wants/needs rather than what you want to supply, also available space will affect your machine choice.

Irrespective of branding you need to look at newer machines that offer MDB payment systems and DEX to be able to utilise CC readers and do remote monitoring. Here, standardising on a single coin mech, note reader, and cc reader will save you time and money in the long term as they are all interchangeable within your fleet (Don't forget to have a working spare of each).

As far as the KVM machines - I'm not as anti chinese, but I will say that you get what you pay for. I have one of the earlier KM series machines (They are manufactured by Kimma), and they are rather flimsy in comparison to the AP/National machines I have. Shelves are plastic and cannot self support when fully loaded with bottles, paint finish is quite soft and scuff marks are easy to get, spare parts are expensive, but the machine does do its job when sited and was around half the price here as a US built machine (both are imports to Australia). I don't know what the support is going to be in the US for these machines - The factory is more geared to deal with distributors but I haven't found it difficult for spares to be obtained.

If pushed for a choice of manufacturer/machine in the US, I'd probably look at AMS as having the larger range of machines with (mostly) interchangeable parts within a generation, but there are niches they don't cover (very narrow machines for example)

My2c

Thanks for taking the time to put all this in writing. Will find locations in my area by contacting business directly. We are very flexible with our time since we are self employed and we have people working for us who could double into this business if necessary. Might be able to store machines at home at the beginning although we are not looking to acquire any machines before securing a location. 

15 hours ago, horsemenvending said:

I though that having CC readers would be an advantage over the competition since many good locations here where we live have older machines without the option to pay with CC. Also en California most of the people don't carry cash with them at all times. 

CC readers are becoming more necessary for good accounts with each passing year.  Any location with a young customer base will do much better with readers than without.  It's not strictly necessary to start out with a full function management software to offer card readers, but you are halfway there with the readers so upgrading is easier when you are ready. 

15 hours ago, horsemenvending said:

How do you think this machines compete against glass front units?

Stack drink machines vs glass fronts?  It depends.  Glass fronts are great merchandisers, but not built for outdoor locations.  Too hot an environment causes condensation problems which lead to operating issues.  Stack machines provide a high capacity for top sellers.  Loaded with long shelf life cans, the stack machine will make money in a lot of locations with minimal restocking.  Glass fronts in my experience do best when stocked with a wider variety, which is good for making locations happy but requires more work and more inventory to manage.  Bottom line is the choice depends on location.  I have some high volume spots where I have both, the stack machine provides capacity for the best sellers and the glass front provides wider selection and higher price items.

Archived