Do soda distributors compete with pricing?

Do soda distributors compete with pricing? Meaning will one distributor offer less price if I am using another in the same area? I had my local distributor elude to making it worth it to shop with them apposed to who I currently use. Problem is I don't have a "Current distributor" but he doesn't know this. I do have an idea of there pricing for individuals doing fund raising as my wife uses them every year for this.

Also, has anyone had luck getting them to beat SAMS/Costco pricing?

Thanks for the input.

5 hours ago, Willow Valley Vending said:

Do soda distributors compete with pricing? Meaning will one distributor offer less price if I am using another in the same area? I had my local distributor elude to making it worth it to shop with them apposed to who I currently use. Problem is I don't have a "Current distributor" but he doesn't know this. I do have an idea of there pricing for individuals doing fund raising as my wife uses them every year for this.

Also, has anyone had luck getting them to beat SAMS/Costco pricing?

Thanks for the input.

As far as soda goes, I cannot see them ever beating the prices at sam's or costco.  I don't see that happening at all.. nor do I see them beating the prices you can get during sales at the grocery stores.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.  If you are referring to pepsi and coke, then absolutely not.  If you are referring to an independent distributor, then they might be able to haul some cheap soda from somewhere but I still have my doubts... I see most distributors stick with 24-packs (or two 12-packs) and those apparently cost more.

Now.. that aside.. would one distributor offer you a deal to get your business?  Maybe, but it also depends on how much soda you go through.  If you are a small vendor who orders 1/2 skid of soda every month, then you would be lucky to get a break from anyone.. but if you go through several skids a week, then you could very possibly get a distributor to offer you a deal on something.  The thing is, just like vending, offering you a cheaper price only lasts so long before prices go up and volume matters.  I would be okay with cheaper pricing at a big account with no commission if it was profitable, but not okay with the same pricing at a smaller account JUST to get their business.  It's the same with distributors.  I am not saying those guys are super rich, but I have heard of many distributors seriously hustling to make a buck.  They have to use pretty large trucks (medium-duty semi or medium-duty straight truck) to haul enough product to afford the costs to GET the product... so I know they want to sell more and more, but I also know it costs them a bit just to make a delivery and you need to spend some cash to get a deal.

Restaurant Depot beats Costco by about 20% in my research. Then add in sales tax that you are paying at Costco and it's way more affordable. I know Costco offers a tax free membership option as well but the prices are still higher.

Archived