National 145 - scrap or upgrade?

AngryChris

I have a dirty location that is not requesting a newer machine but the touch pad is acting up and i can't decide if it's worth putting money into to make it take cards.  I have a 113 and 157 in the garage and it seems like the cheapest solution is to use the 157, but it needs a snack tray instead of the 2nd candy tray.  Does anyone see it being worth while to just upgrade the national? None of these models have mdb components in them and the 113 and 157 are in nice shape/condition.

25 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

Just remove the dividers on the candy tray and couple the motors to make snack selections. Our 145s go to a reef project in the Gulf (about 25 feet down). 

I had assumed that was an option with the 157 so i'll keep that in mind.  I like the 157's.  They are the latest model nationals i have but i have operated 167's in the past and i remember them being about the same.

Do either of you know if 157's report cash sales?

If you want to do cards the 157 is the cheapest way to go. Per lacanteen instructions, its easy to convert the trays. With the right eprom and maybe mdb harness from the board that's all you will need for readers that will report cash sales

I doubt my eprom is up to date but I know 100% that I need an MDB harness for it.  I like the 157's because it's pretty easy to mount everything and board access is super convenient.  I am also about 90% sure my 157 uses contacts for the trays and not wired harnesses.  I also checked into adding surevend (or posivend or w/e it is) but the factory part is ridiculous.. like $400+  Anyone know if I can get the drop sensor cheaper?  If not, I'll just forget about it.. it would just be nice to add for less than $200 if it was possible.  Maybe I'm dreaming.  I should probably just stick with the MDB harness and add the tray kit.  I have a kit for a 147 but I don't know if that's compatible.

I can send you the EPROM and MDB harness, for a donation to the forum (a $75 value if you bought from Crane). I don't know if the 147 tray kit would work. I always take the 157s up to 167 standards. I can get part numbers if you want, but here is what you would need:

RH tray guides with rail board bracket (5)

Rail boards (6)

Snack tray harness (4)

Candy tray harness (2)

Rail board mounting bracket, top (1)

Harness, motor control to rail boards (1)

The above parts will set you back around $275.00. Again, let me know if you need help with part numbers.