Good steady items for Snack Boxes?

BryanH

I  have mostly bulk machines and some mint boxes currently.

I have the mint Honor Boxes on route right now they are simple enough to me you put mints out they sell and have lower theft and sometimes you mix a small -portion of other cheap candies to keep your locations happy with your box.

But the Snack Boxes seem to be a totally different ordeal, I have 10 boxes from Cameron coming and labels to go on them from NCCS. What are good staple items? I have been researching the forum and browsing items that would be a good to go with. Do you have multiple prices for the items or a universal price  what are good prices for like potato chips? Has waters or small Soda cans been tried?

You will want to stick to one price point.  Multi-pricing a snack box is difficult, especially when trying to work "shortages".  Pick a price, either $1.00 or $1.25 and menu your box based on that price.  The market is quickly moving toward the $1.25 price point, so starting out at that price might be the way to go.  Candy bars are going to run .60 - .65 on average, so candy bars (Snickers and M&M's are usually staple items) selling at $1.00 limits your profit margin and is greatly affected by shortages.  LSS chips are going to run 32 -40 cents depending on brand (many lean toward Frito-Lay items), and cookies, either 2oz bags or sleeves (like Oreos) will run 30 - 38 cents.  Sam's Club usually has decent deals on these items.  You can also look at granola bars, Poptarts, Cheez-its, etc.  The point is, figure out the profit margin that you need and base your menu accordingly.  

Also, you will need to figure out how many items you want to pack in your boxes.  Several on this site pack 20 items in the smaller boxes, some pack the larger boxes anywhere from 40 - 80 items, depending on which box you use.  You will want to keep your boxes consistent: ie. pack them all the same.  Avoid packing individual counts for you customers, for example: don't pack 20 items in one box for Customer A and 15 items in another for Customer B.  

Avoid packing waters or soda in the boxes.  1.  they take up alot of room in the box, 2.  who wants to buy a warm soda...ewww.  If you want to try beverages on the honor system, do it seperate from your honor snack tray and make sure the account has a refrigerator.  

Just my 2 cents.  I hope this helps! :) 

1 hour ago, BryanH said:

Thanks very informative. What about intervals? Weekly, bi weekly?

Check out the PM I had sent you.  But to summarize, service accounts generally every 2-3 weeks.  It's best if you can get on a set schedule, and not "float" your service times, meaning service every account, say once every two weeks.  DON'T service one account every week, and one every 3 days, and one every two weeks and so on.  It will complicate things once you start to build up your routes.

I only use the smaller boxes and pack 25 items in them; 1 smartpop popcorn, 9 fritolay LSS random, 1 ea (cracker jacks, m&m cookie, gardetto's, chex mix, oreo's, nutter butter, chips ahoy, skittles, starburst and a chocolate bar)  The balance is trail mix/nuts/combos/granola bars/whatever i pick up.

The bulk of my locations are on a 2 week cycle i have a couple that are weekly but it all depends on the location.

I have one location i service 3 times in a 2 week cycle and their boxes have 30 items with 5 or 6 candy bars in it.  where they have the box and the design of their lobby I cant place a large box.  I have had the location for about 9 months now and they have been short a total of $4 in that time, hence the extra chocolate.  Usually in 4 days the box is down to 4 or 5 items left... wish i had 100 like this...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, Mehehe said:

I only use the smaller boxes and pack 25 items in them; 1 smartpop popcorn, 9 fritolay LSS random, 1 ea (cracker jacks, m&m cookie, gardetto's, chex mix, oreo's, nutter butter, chips ahoy, skittles, starburst and a chocolate bar)  The balance is trail mix/nuts/combos/granola bars/whatever i pick up.

The bulk of my locations are on a 2 week cycle i have a couple that are weekly but it all depends on the location.

I have one location i service 3 times in a 2 week cycle and their boxes have 30 items with 5 or 6 candy bars in it.  where they have the box and the design of their lobby I cant place a large box.  I have had the location for about 9 months now and they have been short a total of $4 in that time, hence the extra chocolate.  Usually in 4 days the box is down to 4 or 5 items left... wish i had 100 like this...

Sounds like a GREAT accouunt.  We'd all love to have a few hundred of those kind of accounts...:) Looks like a good mix of product in your box.  Based on the items listed, I am guessing that you purchase your inventory from Sams Club.  Be very careful on the Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy cookies and Frito-Lay chips (especially) because Sam's will often times have HORRIBLE dates (shelf-life) on these products.  Always look at the "Dates" on the packages to ensure that you are getting maximum shelf-life on your inventory.  Frito-Lay should have AT LEAST 8 weeks (if not more) and Sam's has been known to have Frito-Lay product with 4 weeks or less shelf-life on their floor.  Just a little heads up to help you avoid a "throw-away" problem.

Archived