Dixie Narco 720P - 10 Row

Larry P

We have a Dixie Narco 720P 10 rows set up for cans.  When coins are deposited and selection is made it vends the entire row and then returns the coins.  I replaced the vend sensor first, and then sent in the control panel to DIEB.  But it is still doing the same.  I noted when I installed the vend sensor that the wires were different color than the machine wire harness - but assumed it was a substitute part, it was D65107100 from D/S vending.  I did a continuity check on the wires to make sure there was not a break from opening the door.  All 10 rows do the same thing - deposit coins - press button - get four cans - and your change.  This is our in-house machine used to pay for agency picnic, Christmas, sort of thing.  Since it is not on a vending route I cannot get support.  One guy came out - giggled wires, turned it on and off, (kicked the tires) and said I don't know.  I already did all that!  Can you please help - we have no budget for a replacement.  Thank you.

The p series is not Dixie Narco’s finest moment. My recommendation is to get a used Dixie Narco 501E for around 600-1000. Or, since you are only doing cans, a good used single price 368 will only run you around 2-400 bucks.

With that said, I realize that it may not be feasible to replace the equipment.

So, is it dropping all the cans at once or does it drop one, hesistate, and then drop more?

The P series is DN's WORST moment, in a tie with the FlexPack machine, and all of them need to be sent to a scrap yard.  Even if you get this issue fixed another one will crop up.  They are notorious for convoluted programming, poorly designed vend sensors that are exposed to moisture running onto the sensor, poorly designed cooling units (imported) that have fans that fail and low pressure switches that fail, sensors on the columns that fail, etc.  

Here are two manuals for it: the first is the original P-series manual and the second is the 720P manual which is for a Pepsi door machine.  http://www.hmivending.com/manuals/Generic 552 P Series Manual.pdf ;  http://www.vend-resource.com/sites/default/files/dixie-narco-hvv-720-504-p-series-pepsi-manual.pdf

I think you may need to set up your "Package" types.  Now here is what no P-series manual will tell you: Package Type 1 is for 12 oz cans 4-deep, 2 is for 20 oz Pepsi bottles, 3 is for 20 oz Coke bottles, 4 is for 20 oz Gatorade and 5 is for 16 oz cans.  These are not guaranteed though 1 and 5 should work fine.  The others for bottles might have changed in recent years as different shaped bottles came out.

You also have to force the machine to Prime each column on first fill and the machine will prime itself on future refills after sell outs.

That is helpful - thank you.  For some reason my programming paper said set package 2 - which I did since the control board came back with 12 row programing.  I will go try this!  Not a vending guy, but since I work on old cars they figure I can fix anything.  Been keeping that POS (agree with you) running since 2006 and am about fed up.  Only saving grace - retirement is 2 years away!  Again thank you for responding!

Set it to 10 rows then DN720-10 as the model.  I reprogrammed package to 1. Set price .75.  When I closed the door it primed all columns - one at a time.  Inserted coins and made selection.  All 4 cans in the row dropped one at a time - a little pause between (enough to remove each can).  Then the row primed and dropped a fifth can and then returned the coins.....sigh.

You may have one or more bad motors. Unplug all of the motors except the first one on the left. If it vends OK, then plug in the next one and repeat. There may be more than one bad motor, I've seen a many as 4 in the same machine. If it still messes up with only the first motor on the left, then un plug it and try the next one. Only change one thing at a time. Motors will set you back around $50 each.

I had one that sat outside of a car repair shop. It worked perfectly. Then I swapped it for a 368, because I didn't need that much volume. It never worked right again. It would drop 8 sodas from whatever column you selected. Then it would prime the column. Select the same column, boom eight more sodas. Anyways the only good thing to salvage from it were the can shims, that also fit the 501e. Luckily i just called Pepsi and had them pick up there crappy machine.

3 hours ago, Corvus Corax said:

I had one that sat outside of a car repair shop. It worked perfectly. Then I swapped it for a 368, because I didn't need that much volume. It never worked right again. It would drop 8 sodas from whatever column you selected. Then it would prime the column. Select the same column, boom eight more sodas. Anyways the only good thing to salvage from it were the can shims, that also fit the 501e. Luckily i just called Pepsi and had them pick up there crappy machine.

LOL.  The only thing you salvaged were shims?  I'm not laughing at you, but that's a pathetic thing to hear in regards to the P model.  I don't think I have ever heard one single good thing about it.  These guys even told me to keep a working rockola I was considering sending to a scrap yard, but everyone says to ditch the DN "P" machines!!! Hilarious!  Go crane!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 4:49 AM, AZVendor said:

The P series is DN's WORST moment, in a tie with the FlexPack machine, and all of them need to be sent to a scrap yard.  Even if you get this issue fixed another one will crop up.  They are notorious for convoluted programming, poorly designed vend sensors that are exposed to moisture running onto the sensor, poorly designed cooling units (imported) that have fans that fail and low pressure switches that fail, sensors on the columns that fail, etc.  

Here are two manuals for it: the first is the original P-series manual and the second is the 720P manual which is for a Pepsi door machine.  http://www.hmivending.com/manuals/Generic 552 P Series Manual.pdf ;  http://www.vend-resource.com/sites/default/files/dixie-narco-hvv-720-504-p-series-pepsi-manual.pdf

I think you may need to set up your "Package" types.  Now here is what no P-series manual will tell you: Package Type 1 is for 12 oz cans 4-deep, 2 is for 20 oz Pepsi bottles, 3 is for 20 oz Coke bottles, 4 is for 20 oz Gatorade and 5 is for 16 oz cans.  These are not guaranteed though 1 and 5 should work fine.  The others for bottles might have changed in recent years as different shaped bottles came out.

You also have to force the machine to Prime each column on first fill and the machine will prime itself on future refills after sell outs.

I am glad to read this response... I just picked up one of these machines for free, hoping to fix it up. The board doesn't seem to want to respond to many of my commands (like test the motors) and it keeps saying the machine is "Sold Out" when it is not. I will pull the bill val and coin mech and scrap... uniess there are any other useful parts anyone can think of.

Archived