Wittern 3500 start relay

I got a call about a burning smell coming from one of my machines. After poking around the compressor wasn't running and the starter relay on the back of the compressor was burnt up. Everything else looks good besides the ends of the wiring a little fried. I ordered a relay and thermal cutoff from vendnet but they're on backorder and expensive. Was wondering if there's an alternative to OEM or a kit of some sort.

Thanks

Just put a hard start kit on it.  Get one for a 1/3HP compressor though your compressor is probably only a 1/4HP unit.  A Supco RCO410 is the one you want.  Unless you have an in at a refrigeration supply house then you need to start looking at appliance parts houses.  Those Danfoss compressor start parts are crap but USI just keeps using Danfoss anyway.

Excellent that’ll save me about 80 bucks and Grainger sells them here locally. So this replaces the relay, thermal cutoff and capacitor? Is it pretty straightforward to wire?

5 hours ago, Grimsweeper said:

Excellent that’ll save me about 80 bucks and Grainger sells them here locally. So this replaces the relay, thermal cutoff and capacitor? Is it pretty straightforward to wire?

The 3-in-1 kits will replace the start cap and relay and the overload.  You just take the two feed wires off the start relay and connect to the inputs of the kit then put the output leads on the respective terminals on the side of the compressor after the old relay is removed.

Well that was satisfying. $12 for a 3n1 vs the $92 that vendnet wanted to charge me for the relay and overload. Appears to be working like a charm but the business was closing so I couldn't stay to make sure it was cooling down. Only thing I kinda had to take a guess on was the start and run terminals on the compressor since the wiring was fried and terminals a little melty.

Archived