How to go about putting machines into schools

My most recent school placement went through the director of food services for the district.   Are there currently machines in the schools?  Call and ask to talk to the person who makes decisions about the vending machines.  

The last high school I got I just walked in and asked to speak with the person who would be in charge of making the vending decisions. It was the principal. I explained who I was and what I do, and asked if he would like a proposal. He was open to the idea and agreed to let me write a proposal. Eventually I got the location. 

I think you should start at the school level instead of trying to go to the central administration or business manager or food services manager.  If you can convince the school principal that the machines would be a good thing for their building, then you have them in your corner and maybe they would have central administration approve the decision for you.  

11 hours ago, taysha said:

My most recent school placement went through the director of food services for the district.   Are there currently machines in the schools?  Call and ask to talk to the person who makes decisions about the vending machines.  

One has a drink and 2 have nothing. Anyone have a link or info as to what snacks are permitted?

Some distributors like Vistar also have approved products lists available.  Not all of them sell but those that do can really move.  Doritos LF (Low Fat) varieties are approved, the sweet chili was my best seller when I did student vending, followed by regular flavor.  Whole grain cheez-its do well.   Welch's fruit snacks made with 100% juice, and some of the popcorners varieties. 

6 hours ago, darkinthepark said:

I think you should start at the school level instead of trying to go to the central administration or business manager or food services manager.  If you can convince the school principal that the machines would be a good thing for their building, then you have them in your corner and maybe they would have central administration approve the decision for you.  

This is exactly the opposite of my latest school.  School board wanted healthy vending, told food services to get it done.  Principal could have cared less what was in the machines. 

36 minutes ago, taysha said:

This is exactly the opposite of my latest school.  School board wanted healthy vending, told food services to get it done.  Principal could have cared less what was in the machines. 

Not all schools are the same...but I would start at the base.  Most school boards don't get involved in such things.

Agreed...start at the school itself. Occasionally we’ll run into a school where Vending decisions are made at the district level (which can also be great if you can score the whole district), but typically they’re made by the school administration themselves. Great idea to ask who is in charge of making their  vending decisions. It could be different at every school. 

Archived