Route Valuation Method

VendSoCA

Is there a consensus on how to properly evaluate the fair market value of a route?

(Whether you own or one for purchase)
What I can see from an analysis perspective is you can start with 50% of the gross revenue? Typically the equipment, outside new (less than a year old) machines, is not a big factor. What you are really buying is the revenue? And the revenue is protected by the contracts? But, what if the route has NO contracts? That must dramatically increase the buyer's risk and reduce the seller's value?

Starting at one year's gross is pretty standard.  From that you should deduct for aged machines, poorly maintained machines, no contracts, low prices, high commissions, value of ANY leased machine that isn't owned, etc.  For every listed item that favors the buyer the better the value and higher the price will probably be.

1 hour ago, NYCandyMan said:

I never use contracts! puts the owner in a spot, if something happens, its not long before you become enemies

If you are saying any contract between a vendor and locations is a waste of paper, I could not agree more.

If you are saying any contract between vendors when selling a route is unnecessary, I could not disagree more.

Walta

So, when you are buying a route for a $100k+ with 10 locations and there are NO existing contracts between the locations and current owner, the risk to the buyer seems high, no? If you lose one (or more) of the 10 high volume locations soon after the transitions, that would seem to skew the acquisition cost much higher!

Interesting to hear if most buyers are willing to buy routes without any contracts or binding agreements...

You generally don't find any contracts for smaller accounts.  Handshake aggreements are the usual way of business for small vendors.  The risk is yours to do your due diligence and provide better service than the previous owner to secure the accounts.

Archived