501T SIID sold-out

I have a 501T with an SIID board that is causing problems.  At first, a few selections would say sold-out when they were not.  I began replacing a few switches.  Later, all selections would do this leading to a sold-out message.  I replaced all motor switches.  It happened again (always happening between service cycles and resets when the door switch is pressed).  Finally, today, not only did i get the sold-out message, but there was a column jam on all selections once i pressed the mode button.  I only pressed it because the sold-out message scrolls a little weird so i was checking to see if the board was actually working.  Once i pulled the door switch, i think column 5 (first narrow column from right) began bypassing the switch and continuously homing.  Once it stopped, column 7 did the same thing.  Both selections were in home position already.  I have checked as much of the vend and sold-out connections that i could get to.  I am convinced the board is just bad and getting confused between cycles.  Does this sound right?

Also, i have a 501T in the garage but i believe it is an SII.  I do have a 501e with an SIID, but i have never put an SIID board from one model into another.  Do i need to do anything to change it to 8 selections? Obviously pricing will be changed.

I had the same machine with the same problems. I fought it for 10 years. Replaced everything I could replace including the board. Finally I figured it out. I replace the machine with another one and scrapped it. Problem solved forever.

I had similar problems with a 501 that had a missing ground wire... the wire that was supposed to ground the cabinet to the door was connected on the cabinet end, tucked into the wiring bundle and ended in the bundle, not connected to the door at all.  The machine would be ok when in could establish it's own ground elsewhere, but when that was interrupted all kinds of funky stuff would go on - random homing, multiple vends, sold outs.... drove me crazy for a long time (short drive for me anyway, but...)

I replaced the board and changed the display setting.  Same problem.  The ONLY thing that made a difference was playinf with two motor wires that were laying against metal where the motor cover touches.  The wires did not appear damaged but perhaps there's a nick in there that's hard to see.  This problem did seem to start after i replaced a few motor switches.  Could this cause the motors to short out or something?

2 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

No, changing switches won't cause an issue like this unless the switches are rated differently or they were used switches that are a problem themselves.

Sorry about the confusion.  I was trying to ask if it's possible for the wires to touch the metal part (under the motors) and possibly short-out and cause all of these problems?  I brought up the switches up because I wonder if I may have barely moved the wires on the left side just enough to cause the wires to short out or something after taking the cover off and changing switches.  I also noticed that, when those wires touched (maybe just never noticed before) and barrel plugs were connected, all of the motors would click simultaneously.  I wasn't sure if that's just the normal sound of the motors powering up or if I am just crazy.  Everything started working once I moved a couple wires away from the metal.  The next solution is to bring electrical tape and tape the wires up and see if that permanently resolves the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

A few wires are now taped. If the problem continues, i'll just swap the machine, but i'm starting to think that a new motor harness would fix this.  However, the tank and the deck are both getting old and rusty.  Maybe i should use Allen's solution.

Edit: it did an odd thing while i had tested it, after taping but before acknowledging errors.  After pressing the mode button, all columns showed a jam (recurring issue)  i pressed a random selection button and the machine homed the diet coke (which was already home, i checked them all while taping).  The display showed hD, i pressed the door switch and got to sales mode.  I bought a diet coke, it vended, then the money was refunded and the selection was sold-out.  Coincidentally, the selection was physically sold-out because there were only about 8 cans before choosing the selection.  I don't know why it gave my money back except it thinks the selection is jammed.  After putting the vended can back, i tried to buy it again.  It said "try another selection" as did a few others that i tried.  I pressed the mode button and got something like "p6-7" and jC#3 (regular coke)  Diet coke is 5 i believe but it might be 6.  Regardless, i reset it again and i made multiple purchases flawlessly, including coke.  I don't know if a bad motor can be the problem or a bad outlet, but a shorted wire seems like the only thing i can think of.  Everything in the manual points at a broken/loose connection either from the motors or from the selection switches.  ALL of this started after taking the motor cover off and changing motor switches.  I'm even wondering if i somehow got bad switches but they home fine now.

Archived