Vending gum in AP 113

I'm having problems trying to vend gum in my AP 113.  I keep coming to the machine to see a half-vended, crumpled up pack of gum in the gum tray.

I've run a lot of testing on it, and while it generally works fine, every now and then, occasionally it would push two packs of gum up at the same time which is causing the jam.  That clear plastic cover is doing its job of preventing the second pack of coming out at the same time, but the whole thing is just jamming.  Other times, it seems like the first pack got pushed out but the thing that pushed it out couldn't make it back down because of the second pack getting squished.

I'm not sure what I can do to prevent this.  I'm using the 5 piece gum from Sam's Club that already comes labeled at a price of 35cents for some reason.  I thought I could maybe get different packs of gum that would be a bit thicker and take up more room so the second pack doesn't get pushed up, but those don't seem to exist.  Can't move the clear plastic cover any further forward, and I'm not sure how moving it backward could help.

Anyone know what's happening and what I can do about it?

And while I'm at it, what would be some good things to try vending from that gum tray other than gum and mints?

If I were to give up on the gum tray entirely, can I put sell other gum like the 15 piece packs in one of the smaller spiral rows?  I've had some decent sales on a couple flavors, so I don't think I should drop them entirely.

Gum and mints up to the Lifesavers diameter are all you can vend from it.  Your issue is caused by not adjusting the clear ejectors properly.  Each ejector must be loosened and adjusted so that the knuckle of it rests over the center of the second product.  In addition, you must have your 5-stick gum standing up on edge, not laying down.  You also need to remove any brass colored fillers laying in the bed of any gum or mint row.  These lay lengthwise in the bottom of the row and are to space super thin mints so they need to be removed if they are there.  You also need to use side spacers in your wider selection so the gum or mints don't slide sideways. 

There isn't any way to get small items like this to vend from your candy spirals because you don't have a divider down the center of the spiral and a 1/2 cycle motor to run it.  There is a retrofit tray from Vendors Exchange called The Seventh Tray that is designed to make use of the space and sell other odd shaped items.

I agree, I don't use the gum/mint tray. Any requests for gum is exactly what Corvus said, use the v extra variety pack and put it in a candy slot. Funny though, I've had more notes/service calls in the last 2-3 months about gum/mints than I have in the 2 years since I started vending lol. All of those cane from machines I took over on route purchases, so needless to say they were removed 

I have one single account where the gum/mint tray might come in handy, and that's only because I might be able to use a VE 7th tray to put something like 5 full-size candy-bar selections in there (or whatever else might fit).  I do NOT sell those small 35-cent pack of gums.  I carry the larger packs as has already been mentioned.  Many of those gum/mint trays are problematic depending on the models, and a lot of the problems seem to be more related to parts physically breaking OR harnesses getting damaged/broken over time.  If you absolutely have to sell those small packs of gum, at least buy a 1/2 turn motor with the spirals that are meant for that purpose.  It is way more reliable in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a checklist with me of everything AZVendor said about how to adjust the gum tray and confirmed that everything on my machine was adjusted right, and yet there was still yet another gum jam when I got there.

I looked at the 15 piece packs of gum at Sam's Club again, and I'm not fully happy with those.  They seem rather expensive for what you get in comparison and poorly suited as impulse purchases.

I've been trying to look into the half-turn spiral motors, but I've had difficulty finding what I would need.  I was wondering if anyone with experience on that could help me find everything I need for the conversion.

You need to vend the 7 stick package that they were designed for.  The 5 stick is too flimsy and has loose packaging.  The 1/2 cycle motor is pn 360155 which changes over to a motor for a 120 series machine which will work but you need the entire 1/2 cycle kit to get the divider which is pn 750135 but it's no longer available.

Archived