Should a location buy their own machine?

AMD Snacks

While doing a route yesterday I ran into a guy who owns a pretty large, auto shop/uhaul/uber inspection site. He says he gets pretty good traffic and is already selling chips, cell phone chargers, ice cream and little toys. He wants a capsule vending machine and asked if I'd sell him one. I can't do that, because the supply is so limited my machines are hard enough to acquire, but I tried to let him know about my commission and try and break down the benefits of me coming vs having his own machine. Mainly product rotation, I have spare parts, no hassle etc. But now i'm wondering, is it better, in reality, for a location to buy their own machine since they'd get all the profit? 

No.

Location owned equipment is invariably mismanaged.

Think of all the effort and thought you put into this. It is your focus. For locations, it’s an afterthought that sucks from their main business.

You know what sells, how to keep equipment running, and can buy in bulk. They can’t. I also suggest not selling them equipment because you will be expected to help.

Good points. That's probably the mindset I'll try and keep when another locations asks about it. This isn't the first time i've been asked to sell equipment. I never do, it's just way too hard to find quality equipment with the right mechs and in good shape, that's also not 100's or more miles away. 

Archived