Removing smell of mice from a snack machine

Ramsep

Hi, I have a couple of machines, DN440 and AP7600 in a good location that is out in the country, the snack machine gets almost emptied out by these guys every week.

A couple of weeks ago, little mices got into it and chewed into almost every snack package, so I removed all of the trays in the machine and vacuumed and cleaned it with a "409 Institutional" cleaner (that smelled similar to oven cleaner, despite the advertised pine aroma). I also remove the coils from every tray and repeated the process. I also put a few glue traps on the floor around the machines and 6 little mices were caught. No more issues after that.

The thing is, when I open the machine for service, the smell is fairly strong. I'm afraid that somebody is going to complain pretty soon, and, God forbids, I could even be sued.

Does anybody has had the same problem? I tried using bleach, but it didn't really improved the situation. Yesterday I also put open containers inside with baking soda to absorbe the smell. 

Even if I replace the machine, I still need to clean it at my shop. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

See if the baking soda will work.  Make sure you have thoroughly scrubbed the bottom of the machine and the delivery bin.  You may have to move the machine and clean the floor under it as well.  

Remove the delivery bin and spray paint the inside of the bin and the anti-theft flap gloss black. Same for the bottom inside door channel. Do the same inside the cabinet on the floor, especially where it meets the wall, with semi-gloss black. Spray & wipe the harnesses with Armorall. 

If that doesn't work, get a unicorn (if you can locate one) to fart inside the cabinet.

Hahaha. That last comment might as well be the solution. Thanks.

I used a strong flashlight when I was vaccuming it, so no dead mice in there, also, the smell is more like urine, not dead animals. And is only apparent when I open the machine, not outside.

I was wondering if the paint would really cover the smell, or only mask it for a while.

I think this is what I'm going to do: replace the machine first (it could use a little TLC, by the way), then scrub the cabinet and trays real good with successive rounds of 1) restaurant degreaser, 2) vinegar, and 3) chlorine (or sanitizer) not letting any of those air dry, but using towels, and then let the door open with a fan blowing into it, in between each scrubbing.

After that, replace a few of the parts that need it (tray rollers, etc) and apply a fresh coat of paint inside and out to make it location ready.

Is the Armor All a serious suggestion? 

13 minutes ago, Ramsep said:

Hahaha. That last comment might as well be the solution. Thanks.

I used a strong flashlight when I was vaccuming it, so no dead mice in there, also, the smell is more like urine, not dead animals. And is only apparent when I open the machine, not outside.

I was wondering if the paint would really cover the smell, or only mask it for a while.

I think this is what I'm going to do: replace the machine first (it could use a little TLC, by the way), then scrub the cabinet and trays real good with successive rounds of 1) restaurant degreaser, 2) vinegar, and 3) chlorine (or sanitizer) not letting any of those air dry, but using towels, and then let the door open with a fan blowing into it, in between each scrubbing.

After that, replace a few of the parts that need it (tray rollers, etc) and apply a fresh coat of paint inside and out to make it location ready.

Is the Armor All a serious suggestion? 

Yes the Armor All is serious. Mice like wires for some reason and crawl all over them. The vinyl will absorb it. Washing with a hose and soap will help as well. Search on this forum "refurb" to see some pics before and after. 

Try cleaning up after an angry raccoon:

5a72aad3-7d53-43a4-bb96-c678f1677bd6_zps

I would pull all shelves as mice will hide behind the back wall of a shelf. This will give you a clear look as to the inside of the machine.  Check all channels where they might hide. If all clear, wipe  with a bleach solution, re-install all parts and place a couple Glade air fresheners in the bottom of machine. Close up and let stand for a day or two. Recheck for odors.  Also check to see where they may have gained access.  No sense ridding it of the odor and not stop them from getting in again. Check where cord comes through the floor.

My brother had an old Ford F150 that got inhabited by a mice - wasn't a daily driver so took him a bit to catch on....

Damn that thing stank like mice pee - tried everything, had best results with:

Dryer sheets under the seat - those things absorb odors better than you would think

a pound or two of fresh ground coffee in a sock tied off at the top - expensive air freshener but it finally made that truck tolerable.

I did remove all of the trays when I was vacumming it, the machine was an empty cabinet, and I went through the whole thing with the shopvac hose and the flashlight, including behind the sliding panel where the main board is. 

I guess I could've missed a spot or two, but I made a point of searching for dead mice, and couldn't find any. Again, the smell is that of urine.

I just called the manager location to let him know that I'm replacing the machine this coming saturday, and he agreed right away. He asked if he could put an out of order sign on it, just to prevent anybody complaining, and I agreed.

Once I get it to the shop, I'll try all of your suggestions. Heck, somebody here at work just mentioned that you can see cat's urine using a black light, hehe. I might give it  try as well, hahaha

Thanks a lot everybody. It might take me a while, but I'm going to make this machine Location Ready.

I just brought one back yesterday that had been raided by mice... I rinsed the cabinet out with a hose first thing to get as much as I could out of the tight spots.  Going to have to spend some time with it to get it location ready again and these are some good ideas.....

3 hours ago, Lake Cities Vending said:

I had one that a mouse got into and it smelled bad. I put baking soda in the bottom. The smell finally went away, took a couple of months. Nobody noticed.

Yes, I tought about not saying anything to the location manager, but I just couldn't do it. This is one of my best locations, and it would hurt my very small business if I lose it.

45 minutes ago, Southeast Treats said:

I just brought one back yesterday that had been raided by mice... I rinsed the cabinet out with a hose first thing to get as much as I could out of the tight spots.  Going to have to spend some time with it to get it location ready again and these are some good ideas.....

Hopefully one of them work for you too.

Archived