Which soda machine is better?

For a starter, i recommend a dixie narco 501e simply due to its reliability and ease of use.  It will vend cans or bottles with the proper shims, it is a well-known machine, and it is easily a top 3 all-time best vending machine.  Many will argue that a royal 650 is better but i believe a dn 501e is easier to learn from and troubleshoot.  When properly setup in the hands of a seasoned vendor, a royal might be better depending on the circumstances and preference.  Just make sure it is a 501E and not a 501T, 501R, 501MC, etc..  it must have an E right after the 501 and could say something like 501E or 501ER.  The E standes for Extended-cabinet as it will vends bottles 2-deep. Other non-E models will not.  There are many many other good makes and models but you can probably get a refurbished 501E for $900-$1500, setup for you and ready to be delivered.

19 minutes ago, BlindVending said:

Royal 650 :)

Great beginner's machine. Simply menu, easy to read and operate. No sold out paddles, no shims. Can vend both cans and bottles. 

I agree. Make sure it's a Merlin III or IV, nothing older. 

53 minutes ago, BlindVending said:

Royal 650 :)

Great beginner's machine. Simply menu, easy to read and operate. No sold out paddles, no shims. Can vend both cans and bottles. 

I also agree.  I learned on Royal machines and I really like them.  I find them easy to service, program, and use.

The only reason I think 501e's are better for beginners is because even seasoned route drivers get confused with STS on royals, even when they load them regularly.  On top of that, troubleshooting the drop sensor can be confusing and just knowing how to load the machine properly can be a learning curve.  That's just my opinion.  Obviously, a royal 650 is an excellent machine.  Just make sure to get one with all black motors and a board with a blue button if possible.

Not a stupid question.  Even the big dogs out there have machines that are 10 or even 20+ years old with upgrade kits.  The Royal Merlin IV (650) has been in production for a while for example.  Soda machines do what they do very well, so many good models have stayed relevant for a long time.  Plus, they can be refronted and upgraded to look and work like new again.  Snack machines can also be refronted and upgraded depending on the model.  Some aren't worth it, but most name-brand machines made in the last 15 years can be upgraded, in addition to several 20+ year-old models.  USI machines can be hit or miss.  

Yes.

In terms of vending machine 10 years is barely mid-life. This is because vending machines are designed like industrial equipment: durable, long lasting, reliable, and easy to service.

I have machines that are 30 years old still working great and making me money.

Even the bottlers rebuild 20 year old equipment and use them.

Archived