Building new Honor and Snack Box Routes

I thought that I posted this last night so if there is multiples I apologize.

Brand new to this  forum and brand new to vending.

I am going to be raising money for at least 4 different charity organizations this year because I couldn't make up my mind on 1.

Most boxes go to pink ribbon but I have some for National Childrens Cancer Society and Americans For Lost Children.

My actual machines will contribute towards American Parkinson Disease Association.

I scored a storage unit filled with candy, sticker, toy capsule and gumball machines.

Realizing that I need to refurbish my most of my machines to them location ready.

I also scored some U-turns that were ready to go so I've put them on location.

Also, scored a soda machine and 2 claw machines that I need to fix.

So far I have spent about 2 grand on storage, machines, honor boxes and candy.

That got me about 40 bulk heads (some damaged, all used), 7 5 column sticker machines, about 5 basketball/soccor/bowling mini pinball/bulk head machines, 2 claw machines (they work but the crane does not move side to side), an 8 selection dr pepper machine with dollar bill acceptor (compressor out), 3 U-Turn Candy machines and 

Since I had no locations and my machines need work I've started an honor box route 3 days ago.

This is my third day and I am about to go get locations.

I've added 15 locations to my route since I started on 4/15.

I am taking video of everything so I can upload edited clips on youtube and posting them here for you guys and am going to document everything here and on my website bulkcandyvendor.com - expect my first video soon, I am just waiting to be able to show the first  collection.

Any advice is appreciated because I am brand new. Wish me luck! 

Oops, didn't mean to post this twice so mods feel free to delete my other one. I will post a link to here on my other post.

I am going to try to  go for daily updates because this helps me hold myself accountable.

I added 8 locations today - a mix of candy honor boxes and a few snack boxes.

I now have a total of 23 locations and I am still waiting on my first collection.

On Friday I added 7 new locations, a mix of  snack and candy boxes. 

Got 40 new boxes in the mail, my first order from Cameron Packaging.

Bought about $200 worth of snacks from Sams.

Ordered another 70 boxes from Sheridan systems.

I have a total of 32 locations as of 4/21/1018

Monday April 23, 2018 I added 9 more locations today.

More of the candy and snack honor boxes.

I now have a total of 41 locations.

Planning on getting a couple more U-turn machines out there because I can prolong those collections.

If anyone has tips on placing high traffic locations for claw machines and you are willing to share, please let me know!

I also have a soda machine with a broken compressor that I need to figure out what to do with.

My plan  is to keep adding locations until I have enough to play with for adding in my claw and candy machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so much for daily update but at least my lack of updates are for good reason because I have been very busy working on the new business so more updates to come there soon.

Good news is that I gained 10 new locations. Bad news is that I lost about 11 locations due to me pulling them or they not working out for whatever reason.

This is because I put a lot of boxes out pretty much every where to get started.

I will give almost any where on the front counter next to the cash register a chance for candy boxes and any breakroom or coffee station for a snack box.

If they made less than like $3 then I probably pulled it especially because I need all the boxes I can get right now.

There were about 3-4 locations that didn't want to continue the program. 

as of 5-8-18 I am at 39 decent - good locations.

I've ordered 35 locations from 2 different locating services and so I will let you guys know how that goes.

It feels good to be raising money for charity even if its not a lot, yet.

I have about 12 more boxes that I can place before I run out of boxes... then its just a matter of waiting to collect to order some more, hopefully.

I forgot to mention my first collection was between $400 - and $500 total after about 2 weeks. However there are still about 10 boxes out that have not been collected yet.

I'll try to remember to post exact numbers next collection but for now I gotta go to bed so I can hit it early tomorrow.

So, I got my locations from charityvending.org and I will be placing them tomorrow.

That will put me at about 65 locations if they all work out.

I will be bringing some extra boxes with me while placing those in order to attempt to acquire new locations while out.

Still waiting on another order of 50 boxes, once those come in I will hit it hard trying to get more locations, again.

Once I do a solid collection I will let you guys know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

So far the locations from charityvending.org have not worked out at all. (7 out of the 20 i've been to have let me actually place the box)

I have been to 20 of the 25 locations they sent me and there were very few locations on the list that actually had permission from the owner.

I am talking to james ito now and they said that they will replace them so I will keep you guys posted on whether it was a waste of money or not.

If you are looking to  get locations quickly then I advise getting them yourself or using sheridan systems.

Will do a collection and update you guys on everything, this week.

Edited by bulkcandyvendor

Thanks for the updates. I was going to use charityvending.org but I keep seeing bad reviews about the locations they get you. 

Have you ordered locations from anywhere other than charityvending? If so who would you recommend using? 

The route is going well, I am currently in the process of saving money to get more boxes.

I had acquired the first 45 locations myself, 3 of those being u-turn candy machines. I ordered 10 locations from sheridan and 25 locations from charity vending.org and the locations i've ordered have been hit or miss.

I did order 10 locations from sheridan systems and 25 locations from charityvending.org. 

I have had issues with both but the locations from sheridan systems were not as flaky and they will replace a bad location right away (usually within 3-5 days).

Charityvending.org sent me a list of 25 locations but at least 12 of them have not worked out. James over there told me that they will be replacing them in 1 - 2 weeks so I will let you guys know what happens. 

Tonight I am getting everything organized and can post some numbers for you guys that are interested.

Yesterday I collected 12 boxes and came away with $180 in cash and about $60 in change.

I'll work on getting a better schedule for these posts so that they are once a week-ish, at least.

I've also been considering vlogging what I do and have some footage already of getting locations and some collections.

Would anyone be interested in watching that if I took the time to put it out there along with my updates?

On 5/30/2018 at 5:10 PM, thedosdiez said:

Thanks for the updates. I was going to use charityvending.org but I keep seeing bad reviews about the locations they get you. 

Have you ordered locations from anywhere other than charityvending? If so who would you recommend using? 

I will put out my final review of charityvending.org once I have all of the 25 locations that I ordered, James said it would take about 1-2 weeks to replace them.

The only other place that I used was sheridan systems, I ordered 10 from them. 3 did not work out but were simply replaced within a few days, no problem. I did have 1 or 2 locations that didn't seem to really know what was going on but not as bad as how it was with charitvending.org.

The bad locations could just be my bad luck so I will let you guys know how the replacements go.

As soon as I can get more boxes ordered I will be expanding some more and I might order a few more but I intend on getting the majority of them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

$12 per location. It is supposed to be a pre-approved placement and not a lead. But I think charity vending just sends out old lists or doesn’t bother getting approval because most places they get you are not expecting you or have never heard of the person that gave permission.  From what I’ve read in the forum, most people have had a similar experience with them.  Sheridan seems to be better. Anyone else who can chime in on this I’d be interested in hearing your experiences.  Thanks. 

So here is my problem with placement companies.  Even though they are called "pre-placements", until the box is actually placed, they are just in fact "leads", maybe a "confirmed lead".  But any yahoo can go through a business listing, jot down the names and addresses of businesses in the area, and send them off to you, claiming that they are "sold" accounts ready for a box.  The vendor then shows up and the customer has no idea that a box was coming.  Some may still take the box, assuming that maybe the decision was made higher up, and that is what I think companies like Charity Vending are counting on.  If I give you enough addresses, you're bound to eventually get your 25 sales to stick.  Waste of time and money!

Other options, such as Sheridan, may actually call AND secure the location for a box, which is great and what they were paid to do.  HOWEVER, the problem is that there is a lag time between the sale of the box to the actual placement of the box, in which the customer can "rethink" their decision and refuse the snack tray OR a different manager is working at the time the snack tray is placed, has no idea it was coming and refuses the placement.  Honor Snack Trays MUST be placed at the time they are sold in order for a customer/business to give it a try.  That requires either selling accounts yourself or hiring a sales rep.  I have ALWAYS had at least one sales rep for the 25 years I have owned my Honor Snack company.  Direct sales is really the best (and frankly the ONLY) way to sell new accounts.

My suggestion would to be to sell the accounts your self OR hire a sales rep (albeit even temporarily) to place new accounts for your business.  It is summer time; college kids are out of school.  Why not hire one for the summer to go out and work your market areas and place honor boxes for you.  You can refine the sales pitch to meet your company goals/standards and highlight your service process.  You can have more control over the type of accounts you are looking for and work just the areas you need to build up.  

I TOTALLY understand that smaller start-up honor system companies need help with sales,  but seriously rethink the "pre-placement leads".  Heck, for $12/sale, I could produce a list of accounts to place a box at, and continue sending you names until your quota was met.  That's not selling, that's just compiling a list.  I'm not here to take anything away from Sheridan, I do believe that they are instrumental in helping small start-ups to get going.  I'm just trying to shed some light as to why many struggle with placing boxes at the "pre-placed" locations.  Just my two cents.  :) 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I’d like to give an update to my experience concerning this post.  I really have to give kudos to Margaret at Sheridan Systems and her team.   I have had pink ribbon mint boxes through Sheridan for four years now, and the company has done a great job by me. Margaret gives excellent customer service.  Her locating service is very good and she always works with me to make sure I’m satisfied and is very fair.  Sheridan supports their vendors to help them be successful.   The company provides for sale everything, even candy, so start up is easy.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, flintflash said:

...Honor Snack Trays MUST be placed at the time they are sold in order for a customer/business to give it a try.  That requires either selling accounts yourself or hiring a sales rep...

...rethink the "pre-placement leads"... many struggle with placing boxes at the "pre-placed" locations.  Just my two cents.  :) 

Yep, I agree fully. You are simply paying for leads with locating services, nothing more.

You will still need to close the sale with the DM and build the trust anyways... might as well do that while walking the block and asking other businesses.

You will also have much better loyalty and much lower amount of call backs stating that the box needs to go when you place them yourself. Even with doing my own locating, I still get bounce-backs... and they're almost always ones where an employee just asked the owner/manager and I was unable to ever speak to the DM directly - and preferrably face-to-face. It just builds good trust to do your own placements, and you need at least a few people at each location who like you, greet you with a smile, and will look out for the box. Any vending is a numbers game, but I've found that it is mainly a business of personal relationships.

Edited by FlyGuy

• 4 months later...

I am considering starting an honor box business sponsored to a charity ( National Children's Cancer Society )

Small cardboard Honor Boxes with small candy bars, mints or lollipops ?

I am considering 50 boxes to start and am not sure honestly what kind of money I can expect to get from this

Figuring gas and expenses and money for candy I'm not sure what to expect leftover for the charity

Any realistic thoughts from anyone?

Jackpot Vending, You've started 4 threads and now replied to this year and 1/2 old thread.  If you are hoping for different answers than before, you are still asking the same people.

NCCS is $1 per month per label, whether or not the box is out earning money is irrelevant to them. You need to be careful how many you order when you start.  You don't want to order all 50 labels and find its harder than you thought to place your boxes.  Labels sitting in your living room still cost $1 per month...

Boxes could bring in anywhere from $5 to 30 per month depending on location.

Order snack boxes from Cameron https://www.cameronpackaging.com/snackboxes.html

Candy cost from Sam's... 

Bob's Sweet Stripes 9.13 for 350ct (.03ea)

York Peppermint Patties minis 13.48 for 175ct (.08ea)

Mars Chocolate Favorites Mini candy bars 14.98 for 155ct (.10ea)

Dum Dum suckers 11.78 for 500ct (.02ea)

Blow Pops 8.92 for 100ct (.09ea)

Gas just depends on how far from your house the stops are.

I hope your actually reading everyones' replies and not just continually reposting looking for the answer you want.

Honor mint boxes aren't expensive to start, spend $200 and give it a go, start with just 20 boxes and see how it goes.  If you don't like it, just drown your sorrows in chocolate and eat the rest of the candy and move on with your life... you aren't out much.  But if you are hoping 50 boxes will be a living wage for you... I hope you have zero debt, a nice huge garden, grazing cattle, hogs, chickens, solar panels and turbines for electricity and you drive a Prius.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 5:39 AM, Jackpot Vending said:

I am considering starting an honor box business sponsored to a charity ( National Children's Cancer Society )

Small cardboard Honor Boxes with small candy bars, mints or lollipops ?

I am considering 50 boxes to start and am not sure honestly what kind of money I can expect to get from this

Figuring gas and expenses and money for candy I'm not sure what to expect leftover for the charity

Any realistic thoughts from anyone?

I have to agree with Mehehe!  I've responded to 2 of your posts and have not seen any response.  Not sure if you are looking for different answers, but my information is based on 25 years experience.  If you are that unsure of getting into this business, I would suggest you DON'T.  There is NO guarantee that any one will be successful in the Honor Snack or Charity Mint/Lollipop business.  It is just like any other business, you will only be as successful as the work you put into it.  It is not an easy "get rich quick" scheme.  Look at it like that, and you are doomed to fail.