Machine movers, stopper bags and Huns at the gate

Gaaaagggghhhhh

In my continuous fumbling to try and make a few sheckles in the Vending biz, I have a couple questions:

Where the HELL are all the vending machine movers?  Out the 3.7 million people that live in the greater Seattle Metro region, there aint a single one among them that wants to have anything to do with moving these heavy golpher machines.

Google, Craigslist, you name it, there is NOT ONE person advertising the willingness or ability to move a machine 10 feet much less 10 miles - if I had machines located up any kind of stairs I'd abandon them in place if it came time to move.

Sure, I get it - if you want to make it in the business, move your own stuff - and I do, snack machines are no problem, just about any beverage machine I can get a pallet jack under no problem - I start losing interest on the heavy golpher Vendo stackers that sit damn near flush on the floor - HATE moving those things.  I have Crate movers, piano dollies, I get that you can rock 'em up on 4 x 4's and get a pallet jack under them.... but any kind of incline and that sucker just might get away from you quick.  I've used the swoopy Dutro hand trucks with the kick out wheels - those are nice, but there are times it would be nice to throw out a $100 or so and leave the moving to someone else.

I tried calling a couple companies that advertise moving pianos - no bueno, no interest.  I've called competitors, they hate moving their own stuff, much less anyone elses.

Anyway - looking for out of the box suggestions for where to look for movers that would might be capable - like maybe safe movers or something?  

Note to self:  look into possibly starting a vending machine moving company.

Moving on - any of you guys use what I like to call "stopper" bags in any of your selections?  These are the shatty chips that nobody likes but have reasonably long shelf dates - Veggie Straws come to mind.  I have one account that consumes EXACTLY 10 bags of Lays plain potato chips every week - not 8 (and not 11, I tried filling two rows, that was a waste) - somehow it is always 10 - and boy do I hear about it if that row is empty when I show up to service the machine - because it is EMPTY!!!!!!  So what I started doing some time back was stick in 9 bags of Lays in a 10 count spiral and a bag of Veggie straws in the 10 slot - woohoo!!   They eat the 9 bags and the Veggie straws sit and hold the spot until I get there to re-fill - no more complaints about EMPTY rows!  Sure - I lose out on the sale of one bag, but if I use two rows I lose even more sales because I have to remove a selection that other people might like....  Have gotten to where I have a selection of stopper bags (or un-sellable candy like Plain M&M's) stashed in the machines so I can set up a stopper if I am short on Doritos or something - seems to work out pretty good, I have most of my locations set up to be at least 50% sold out (shooting for nearer to 70%) when I show up to re-stock, but with my stopper bag set-up, all the selections still have at least 1 bag left in 'em so the machines visually looked fully stocked- anyone else doing something similar?

Next up - I posted about this before, but I have had a "Vending Services Management Company" pop up at one of my locations and claim they have obtained a "national contract" and that I need to join the collective and started kicking them out tribute in the form of "commissions" or else they will kick me out - based on the advice I got on here I passed on the invite to start giving them money for absolutely nothing in return and told them let me know when you have my replacement and I will move my golpher - that was over a year ago and although I am still plugging along, they have re-appeared asking for Certificate of Insurance for the account - I sent one over as requested, but the account is the holder NOT the Management company - they didn't like that they want their name on the COI  - does that sound right?  Not gonna do it - I have no relationship with these people, don't pay tribute, didn't sign any agreement, probably finally going to get kicked out.....which is why I am lookng for movers.....

Round and round it goes..

ABC

To find a mover you can call any machine seller or distributor in your area and see who they use (maybe in-house) or call any friendly vendor (you should have one or two) and ask who they use.  They are there, you just have to find them.

I would also ignore the management company requests until you have a valid contract with them, which you probably won't.

17 hours ago, CajunCandy said:

I tried that and not in business any more! lol! Nobody would cough up $100 to move a machine!

Probably cause they didn't want to see their machines at the bottom of the bayou 😄😄😎

I have used a safe mover to do the moves up and down stairs.  He rocks, btw.  I even sold him my stair climber which I inherited and never had any intention of using.  otherwise, I move most machines myself.  

Archived