Mars TRC-6800H sensors

Kivuli

My DNCB 368 uses a trc-6800h and the exact change light is constantly blinking on and off. I think I have the problem narrowed down to bad high-side coin tube sensors since it still works, vends, and gives change for bills. 

My question is: what kind of sensors does it use? I'm no stranger to building circuits and would prefer to replace them rather than buy a new mech. 

I don’t know about the sensors, I usually just send it off. But I did have a similar problem recently & it was actually the female end of the Jones plug, one of the connectors had pushed out of the back. I unplugged the power to the door & pushed it back in. 

I'll double check all the connectors just to be sure it isn't something simple like that.

As for the sensors, further poking shows that they're just ferrite coil inductors. I have a hard time believing that the entire mech needs to be rebuilt for a few faulty ferrite coils?

17 minutes ago, Kivuli said:

I'll double check all the connectors just to be sure it isn't something simple like that.

As for the sensors, further poking shows that they're just ferrite coil inductors. I have a hard time believing that the entire mech needs to be rebuilt for a few faulty ferrite coils?

I've found through a great deal of trial and error that the Coinco mechs are much more reliable (unlike their BA's).  If you can't fix this one try a 9302GX instead - rock solid mech.

1 hour ago, moondog said:

I've found through a great deal of trial and error that the Coinco mechs are much more reliable (unlike their BA's).  If you can't fix this one try a 9302GX instead - rock solid mech.

A 6800H is a single price 110VAC. I can send you a TRC-6000 that you can steal the tube sensors from. 

If you are going to fix this yourself, be careful with the board the sensors are soldered into.

It has a rubber coating on it that needs removed before desoldering the sensor

when you are done soldering in the new sensor you can paint over the connections with rubber cement or the non conductive material of your choice

You are foolish to fix this yourself.  If you let a repair depot fix it for you it will have all aspects checked, repaired and tuned properly.  If you don't then when you bungle it up or it has another issue right after you monkey with it you'll still need to get it repaired.  Coin mech and validator repairs aren't DIY.

I appreciate the concern, but I have rebuilt a great many electronics both consumer and commercial in my time. I know how to tune this coin mech and test it for functionality. That, and I've already had to clean, test, and replace the belts for this machine's validator. I understand such a warning to someone who doesn't have much experience with hardware engineering but I'm not that guy. If I "bungle" it, I'm no worse off than I was before in having a bad sensor board.

The only problem you might run into rebuilding it yourself is that you can't really get any parts, as you are not a MARS service center.

Also, if you are doing this for serious income it's not worth your time. A professional rebuild replaces all the wear parts and preemptively replaces/ inspects commonly failed parts, which will save you in the long run on service calls. The way I see it is I can pay 100 to get it rebuilt and working 100% for 2-4 years or I can deal with multiple breakdowns over those 2-4 years. A single breakdown probably costs me over 100 after I factor in lost sales and my time so its well worth it to run professional rebuilds.

But if vending is just a side thing for you (which is perfectly fine) go for it. These things are a lot easier to work on than most laptops.

Yep, it's just a hobby for me. Spending $100+ to get a rebuilt mech is a far less appealing prospect than self-repair when you only have the one machine doing any substantial business and even then only as a pasttime. I've done a LOT of work on these machines already (they're from the early 90's) and I intend to keep it up unless I run across something seriously FUBARed. Which, given how simple they are in comparison to modern machines, seems unlikely. Even then, at that point I'd have to consider the worth of keeping it going versus just buying a newer machine in good working order.

Archived