Vending Machine Moving

Hi guys, sometimes I think it would be nice to at least have the ability to move a machine myself (at least in relatively "easy" moving situations) but I don't want to break my back. I don't even want to risk my back, that's why I have never really considered moving a machine myself. I would probably just buy one of those dollies with the back wheels and rent a liftgate, but how do you guys recommend someone move the machine in the safest way possible?

My main concerns are 1) Throwing out my back 2) Tipping the machine back on the dolly, not being able to steady it as it goes down, and getting crushed/destroying the machine 3) Getting crushed in general, vending machines aren't worth my back!

Dutro or stepryder is the only way to go for a vending dolly. The Northern Tool abortions will get you killed.

If you use a proper dolly the balance is quite good. I'm like 5'7 and can easily handle a 501E by myself.

The other thing is, you must have the mindset that if it starts going over, run. Let it fall. Been there, done that.

Just work slowly, and methodically. A helper is also very nice to have.

Also with the dolly you gotta use your weight to your advantage.

I got my Dutro used, but it took like 2 years of watching craigslist.

Another option is a Piano dolly or pallet jack. More of a pain but still safe and usable.

Also, I have a pickup so I rent a drop deck trailer to move machines with. The whole bed of the trailer lowers to ground level, loads real nice. Plus no mileage fees. Some equipment rental places will have these. Sunbelt usually does, but a lot of local, independent rental places sometimes do too.

If you get a liftgate truck a rail lift is preferred. The tuckunders have a tendency to wear out and develop a tilt over time. They are usable though, but you gotta make sure the platform is reasonably level before you rent it.

I like the Stevens dolly, very similar to the dutro, and also the short and narrow pallet jack (available from ULine).  The dollys can run 800-900 new, the pallet jack about 300.  Here's the issue:  pallet jacks are not meant for inclines.  You can do it, CAREFULLY, but you should have 2 experienced people on the move.  Plus for the pallet jack; I keep all my stored machine that don't have legs on 4x4's cut to 36 inches.  I can move machines around the warehouse all day long by myself, very handy for storing machines deep and then getting them out to prep.   Also use the 4X4's to move machines back to floor level as needed (tilt and remove one side at  a time).   The piano dollies (split dollies) are great when you have to scissor a machine thru a door, but also tend to be expensive.  None of it should require heavy work if you are doing it right (except stairs - stairs are a golpher without a power dolly).   Take your time and plan out the work in advance.    I also put heavy duty floor gliders under most of my installs now, protects the clients floor and makes sliding the machines much easier when required.  I have scissored machines thru level doorways using just gliders (yes that is a bit of heavy work).   For transport I use a trailer with a long drop tailgate.. wish I could afford a hydraulic trailer, but am going to look around to see if I can rent one in my area as needed!

I use the stevens dolly (modified) and my liftgate truck.  Moves everything snack and soda.  The modification is a steel rod thru the dolly with a slide over artificial bottom lip to grab legged snack machines, been moving my own machines forever, by myself.  The sliders are a must for twisting machines thru narrow doors.  If you get a liftgate, make sure it has an extension on it, that will allow the machine to sit on it safely (total package (6 yrs ago) less than $2K new and installed).

2 hours ago, Corvus Corax said:

I recommend anyone that owns a trailer invest in a small winch. Any 2000-3000lb atv winch will do. Mount it at the front of your trailer to pull equipment on.

A small come-along can serve the same purpose, maybe not quite as handy but will get the job done....

On 5/15/2018 at 4:27 PM, Central Kentucky Vending said:

if you in the busness you need to plan on moving machines

I don't really agree. A lot of large successful operations rely on movers.

Personally I do the simple stuff myself, but if I'm swamped I will hire a mover, even for simple golpher.

Big thing is time, It'll take me 4 hours by the time I rent a trailer and move everything. If I'm moving a bunch of machines it makes sense but for single machines my mover has very competitive pricing.

I predominantly rely on movers. Considering insurance and my back it makes sense. My everyday truck has a lift gate so I can move machines, but it's rough to do on your own. Most moves are not bad at all with two people, but my mover only charges $100 per machine so that makes more sense.

Archived