Frozen deck yet again

Frozen deck

i have went round and round with the seller “vendaholic” about the deck I purchased for a 501E  froze as soon as it was installed. I have changed the door gasket and thermostat, no dice. 

I have perfect air flow! He is now telling me to add a timer to the deck for one hour on and one hour off. Also states I should remove the door guide. Am I missing something or is this thing just low on coolant? 

6 hours ago, orsd said:

Also, you have a massive air leak. There should be a plate and thumb gum covering the notch where the lines go from the lower to the upper cabinet areas.

I have fixed that.. put Styrofoam and metal tape over that.. Where can I buy the gum? 

10 hours ago, QuikVend said:

There should be a piece that covers that opening where your white is running in the picture. There shouldn't be any airflow through there. 

I feel strong airflow though the vend door. Would one fan have that much movement? So you don't think its low on coolant?

Fix all the air leaks, make sure the evaporator fan works and then check the freon charge.  One or all of them are the culprit.  Do you have a good delivery port door that isn't warped and doesn't stick open?

21 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

What was it doing before?

Pulled deck off this one to go in another since it was in storage. Other deck works perfectly. 

14 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Fix all the air leaks, make sure the evaporator fan works and then check the freon charge.  One or all of them are the culprit.  Do you have a good delivery port door that isn't warped and doesn't stick open?

Is checking the Freon something I can check myself? Next service I will pull the condenser and make sure both fans are working properly. Door looks good. 

The condenser is in front of the compressor, the evaporator is inside the cabinet.  Just remove the top evap shroud to see if the fan is working but if the ice is melted you can check for air flow up the back of the cabinet or put a paper up against the evaporator to see if it's sucked against it.   You would have to invest in a set of R12 gauges (has other scales on it as well) to check the freon level.  Even with that you will still need an access port to measure the pressure so if it doesn't have a low side tap already, meaning it has been worked on before, then you have to add a low side line tap.  You only measure the low side pressure.  

Legally, you have to have a refrigeration cert to work on/ access the sealed system. Meaning use gauges, add a line tap (which honestly is advanced work, properly brazing one on requires recovering refrigerant, cutting, brazing with an oxyacetylene torch, pulling a vacuum, and recharging. The bullet taps that clamp on eventually leak.)

12 hours ago, Coal River Vending said:

Pulled deck off this one to go in another since it was in storage. Other deck works perfectly. 

I have a suspicion that this deck would work perfectly fine in another machine.  The evaporator fan pulls ice that forms on the evaporator and moves it into the cabinet and *removes heat* from the cabinet causing the cans to "cool."  If the evaporator isn't working properly, airflow isn't sufficient, if there is a major air leak allowing outside air to come into the cabinet, or if the deck is running non-stop due to a bad thermostat, you could get a frozen-over evaporator.  However, a bad thermostat causing the unit to run continuously would freeze your soda.  So, if the soda isn't frozen, then the likely culprit is either an air flow issue (through the evaporator and into the cabinet) or a major air leak.  For the air leak to be the culprit, the machine would have to be in a pretty humid environment.  So, if it's in a dry climate-controlled office, then I don't think the air leak would be the likely culprit.  A bad, weak, or disconnected evaporator fan can cause this.  I'm not sure if you can put the wrong fan blade or put a motor in backwards on a 501e but if it's running the wrong way, it might cause your issue (I don't know what a backwards evaporator fan would do though to be honest, aside from not cool your soda).

Archived