Pop Machine not getting cold.

Not an expert when it comes to these machines since I only own one.  My pop machine stopped getting cold today.  You can hear the cooling unit kick on and then kick off 2 seconds later.  Not sure if this means it's out of Freon or that something else is keeping it from staying on.  I'm guessing out of Freon.  If that's the case, how does one go about recharging it?  Do I need to call in someone who deals in that or can I do it myself?  Thanks in advance with any help you can give me.

2 hours ago, orsd said:

Get a new 3in1 and throw it on.

https://www.zoro.com/supco-relay-overload-and-hard-start-capacitor-rco210/i/G1690053/#specifications

If that fails time for a new compressor.

What he said.  If you hear a compressor click like it's trying to turn on for a few seconds and then stop, then that means the compressor isn't drawing enough power to start (usually because of a compressor that's going bad).  However, a 3-in-1 starter can give it enough extra juice to keep it going for a while.

As for being able to recharge it yourself.. the most simple rule of thumb with refrigeration is... if you have to ask if you can do it yourself, DO NOT attempt to try.  Refrigeration is dealing with chemicals under pressure.

So, I'm guessing when it runs out of Freon it'll just keep running as normal but just not get cold? 

As for the starter, will that work with any machine?  I have an older 80's Vendo, so I just want to make sure it'll work with that before I buy it.

You need a new compressor.  If you use the hard start kit there is always a chance that it will run the compressor until it burns out, which will contaminate the entire cooling system which is almost impossible to clean out.  That requires a new system if a burn out occurs.  That's the risk.  The hard start kit will work on any compressor that uses a start relay and start capacitor which are replaced by the hard start kit.  You must size the kit to the compressor and you probably have a 1/4hp or 1/3hp compressor in it.

To Chris:  No, the compressor clicking on and off means it is drawing TOO much current as it tries to start which trips the overload.  The hard start kit will give the extra boost of current needed to overcome the current demand of the motor.

4 hours ago, AZVendor said:

You need a new compressor.  If you use the hard start kit there is always a chance that it will run the compressor until it burns out, which will contaminate the entire cooling system which is almost impossible to clean out.  That requires a new system if a burn out occurs.  That's the risk.  The hard start kit will work on any compressor that uses a start relay and start capacitor which are replaced by the hard start kit.  You must size the kit to the compressor and you probably have a 1/4hp or 1/3hp compressor in it.

To Chris:  No, the compressor clicking on and off means it is drawing TOO much current as it tries to start which trips the overload.  The hard start kit will give the extra boost of current needed to overcome the current demand of the motor.

Honestly, I don't really care if a compressor burns out.

I just swap decks anyway, because the cost to get a tech to replace just the compressor is equal to the cost of a complete deck.

Especially for a Vendo that old, next stop for it is gonna be the scrapyard anyways when the compressor completely shits, so no harm trying.

The other part is it could be a faulty overload, compressor itself could be just fine.

Also, there are burn out flushes, a burn out doesn't actually ruin the deck.

http://www.nucalgon.com/products/tsp/rx11-flush

Archived